DiveYak for Beach Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaFireMedic:
A Diveyak is basically an inflateable kayak made by Sevylor. It has the same basic shape as a plastic kayak but no compartments in the hull for storage. The big advantage seems to be the ability to deflate it and transport/store in a relatively small package, instead of strapping a large plastic one to the roof of your car. The LDS owner spoke pretty highly of it in comparison to the plastic ones, although he sells both. The Diveyak is relatively inexpensive as well, just over $300 for the single, and just under $500 for the double.

Heres an online flyer:
http://www.diveus.com/catalog/trident-diveyak-single-diver-kayak.htm

Hope I caught you in time before you go and spend $500.. . . . ..Try out ScubaDestination.com $389.99 Plus shipping and tax if you live in California for the double. The Diveyak is made of a durable Zodiac material on the bottom and a heavey duty material like a duffel bag on top. It comes with about 12 D rings to attach your equipment to. Comes with three tie down straps for equipment on the back. Four small tie down straps (two for each seat)for wieght belts or if wieght intergrated BC what ever you want between you legs. It has a nylon braid tow rope or bouy rope on the rear. The seats have two drink holders and a main pouch, plus the back of the seats unhook so you can put it araound your waist to go hiking on a island or whatever. On the back of the seat also is two velcro straps that I am going to use for my dive flag pole holder. On the front is bungie cords to strap down your fins and mask and snorkle and a strap to secure the anchor. The double one is 12 feet 10 inches. THe only thing I do not like is the foot pump that comes with it, HUNK OF JUNK. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a $12 double action foot pump or spend a little extra money and get a pump that hooks up to your car. Also the plastic buckles are kind of cheap but they will last for a while then I will replace them with metal ones. Hope this helps you guys out. Can not wait for my count down to get to ZERO :crafty:

OneBrightGator:
Well... I guess this is as good a place as any...

What's a Diveyak?

What are the best options as far as inflatable and rigid kayaks go (for mostly river use, some ocean)?

Are there any in-between? (I though I've seen some with rigid bottoms)

Thanks!
ScubaDestination.com also has the rigid one for $400 more but with the zodiac matierial it will tak a tree branch on the bottom and do nothing. Trust me I have done it, and worried I might have torn it but the material showed nothing. I am not saying to go out and ram it into sharp objects on purpose either. The water line is about two to three inches so if you are planning on not getting a little wet buy the rigid bottom one it looks like it would keep you further out of the water, but I am scuba diving and going to get wet anyways so I do not care. Hope this helps :D

Floridawannabe:
Hope I caught you in time before you go and spend $500.. . . . ..Try out ScubaDestination.com $389.99 Plus shipping and tax if you live in California for the double. The Diveyak is made of a durable Zodiac material on the bottom and a heavey duty material like a duffel bag on top. It comes with about 12 D rings to attach your equipment to. Comes with three tie down straps for equipment on the back. Four small tie down straps (two for each seat)for wieght belts or if wieght intergrated BC what ever you want between you legs. It has a nylon braid tow rope or bouy rope on the rear. The seats have two drink holders and a main pouch, plus the back of the seats unhook so you can put it araound your waist to go hiking on a island or whatever. On the back of the seat also is two velcro straps that I am going to use for my dive flag pole holder. On the front is bungie cords to strap down your fins and mask and snorkle and a strap to secure the anchor. The double one is 12 feet 10 inches. THe only thing I do not like is the foot pump that comes with it, HUNK OF JUNK. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a $12 double action foot pump or spend a little extra money and get a pump that hooks up to your car. Also the plastic buckles are kind of cheap but they will last for a while then I will replace them with metal ones. Hope this helps you guys out. Can not wait for my count down to get to ZERO :crafty:

You did catch me in time, thanks. I think the actual price that my LDS wants is closer to $460, and I will probably get it from him for a few reasons. I wouldn't have to pay shipping, I could get it in 2 days, he said he'd help me set it up and practice with it in his pool, and if anything is wrong when it comes, he can take care of it. That'd be worth the extra $70 or so I think. Just the benefits of the LDS outweighing the lower cost in this case. Thanks for the heads up though.

Yup, I'm going to get the electric pump as well, along with the upgraded paddles. Although since I have a few tanks, I may just use an inflation adapter off of one of the tanks. I'll figure it out when I get it.

If you don't mind, about how long does it take you to set it up when its fully disassembled?

DaFireMedic:
If you don't mind, about how long does it take you to set it up when its fully disassembled?
To inflate with a double action pump and put the seats on and attach the paddles. . . . 15 to 20 minutes. With the electric pump about 10 mintues, but make sure you inflate it fully and also do not over inflate it if it is going to be out in the sun for hours. If you get back to the beach and plan on leaving it on the beach for a while let some air out because with the heat it will inflate if not over inflate. I hope you have a blast with it as I have been. Also, good choice with the LDS because $70 is not that much and you get first hand help with experience.

For those who might not have spotted it in local events ...

July 3rd Kayak Dive + Picnic

Bob3:
Gotta still watch out for those insane boaters though, they'll sometimes ignore the flag & think they've found themselves a freebie.
Bob, Idon't believe that.
I really think that the boaters think it is a pylon and their in a race (intentionally getting as close as possible)lol
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom