DiveYak for Beach Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs:
just got my first snicker from the president of the local kayuba club

the dude is *president* of something callad a "kayuba" club, and he has
the gumption to snicker at you?

oh irony, where is thy sting?

dkramer:
I don't know much about the inflatable diveyak but possible punctures would be a concern for me... SNIP... Remember, though, even though you are towing the kayak, it is considered a boat and you must use the larger flag.
Surprisingly, that's the one concern that I no longer have after beating mine up for a couple of year snow... the beast could probably take a spear from close range... certainly a spear would bounce off from several feet. Knives, except maybe fillet knives lol, would NOT be a problem. I might worry about coral if we had any protruding reefs here, but less about sharp rocks.

Could you save me some time looking up how large the dive flag is supposed to be for a kayak? I've been stopped & checked several times by various boat-cops on the water locally and though they never mentioned it, they may not know! I think the Kayubas use the normal dive flags as well. If you have a reference handy... thanks!

I'm glad to hear that yak is so durable. I use mine so much that I was worried, with the constant inflating & deflating, that I'd have something like that worn out real quick. Sounds like a good deal. The flag used is the standard size for regular boats -- 20" x 24"

Now, if we could just get rid of this rain so we could get back out there!

MikeJacobs:
Could you save me some time looking up how large the dive flag is supposed to be for a kayak? I've been stopped & checked several times by various boat-cops on the water locally and though they never mentioned it, they may not know! I think the Kayubas use the normal dive flags as well. If you have a reference handy... thanks!

Yes, we Kayubans (*cough*) use the boat-sized flag if you mount it on the kayak, but you can also use the dive flag on float sized flag IF you tow it separate from the boat.

Tow yer yak with a line, and hook the float onto the yak using another line.

SFLDiver:
Yes, we Kayubans (*cough*) use the boat-sized flag if you mount it on the kayak, but you can also use the dive flag on float sized flag IF you tow it separate from the boat.

Tow yer yak with a line, and hook the float onto the yak using another line.
OK, sounds good... they have so many details to contend with don't they? I wonder if I strung my line THROUGH the eyelets on the boat... one line but still in tow LOL - I can just imagine a stickler for regulations having to scratch his head over that one.

All the boat-cops are good folks IME. I've been given a verbal warning about something I've forgotton... like my whistle was on my BC and not on my life vest lol. Seemed really impressed that I had everything else tho... they do like to chat when its calm, tho.

You "kayubans" seem like a good group. Everybody I've met has been very helpful and down to earth. If I had a real kayak I might even have joined you by now lol.

Like I said, we're usually down between Sunrise and Oakland Park Blvd most any weekend. I'm one of the early morning risers and love to be on the 2nd reef as the sun comes up on a calm flat day.

I keep meaning to rouse Miss Marvel some early morning by showing up with the two dive yaks. Last time I took her down to a multi-club kayak picnic at John Lloyd we got blown out and had to resort to paddling about in the local waterways instead.

Dang, with all this wunnerful weather ... might actually have to work on ... *bleaugh* taxes.

ReefTrekker:
Any of you own a DiveYak?

Worth the money? Do you use them much for beach diving?
Looking for an easy way (well, simple way) out to the 2nd reef on a regular basis..... The boaters around here make me a little leery of swimming out that far.

I can get one for about $310......a buddy of mine and I were discussing getting a couple, and I thought I'd fish for some opinions.

Thanks!!

Here is how stable the DiveYak is. . . Myself being 6' 2" and 270 lbs stood up straight on it and jumped off and never tipped the Diveyak over. I did take it out in the ocean in Pensacola, FL with 2 to 3 foot waves no problem. I am going to be in Florida in July as you can see my count down and I am going to use my Diveyak every day that the weather permits. I have my 20 x 14 flag that I have attached to a 3 foot PVC pipe that I am going to put on the back of my seat with the velcro straps. Plus two life vests and two wonderful storm whistles, that I tested out underwater to see if they could really blow and be heard, they could. I have a three pound anchor with 90 ft. of line. I love the Diveyak and am very happy with it, like the others stated it is slower than the Kayaks but it gets the job done. I have had a few kayakers here in Missouri check it out on the rivers and they are impressed with it.

Floridawannabe:
Here is how stable the DiveYak is. . . Myself being 6' 2" and 270 lbs stood up straight on it and jumped off and never tipped the Diveyak over. I did take it out in the ocean in Pensacola, FL with 2 to 3 foot waves no problem. I am going to be in Florida in July as you can see my count down and I am going to use my Diveyak every day that the weather permits. I have my 20 x 14 flag that I have attached to a 3 foot PVC pipe that I am going to put on the back of my seat with the velcro straps. Plus two life vests and two wonderful storm whistles, that I tested out underwater to see if they could really blow and be heard, they could. I have a three pound anchor with 90 ft. of line. I love the Diveyak and am very happy with it, like the others stated it is slower than the Kayaks but it gets the job done. I have had a few kayakers here in Missouri check it out on the rivers and they are impressed with it.

I looked at one today, which is why I searched for and found this thread. Its been very helpful, thank you. I am looking at purchasing the double within the next few weeks if possible. I'm looking forward to it.

Well... I guess this is as good a place as any...

What's a Diveyak?

What are the best options as far as inflatable and rigid kayaks go (for mostly river use, some ocean)?

Are there any in-between? (I though I've seen some with rigid bottoms)

Thanks!

OneBrightGator:
Well... I guess this is as good a place as any...

What's a Diveyak?

What are the best options as far as inflatable and rigid kayaks go (for mostly river use, some ocean)?

Are there any in-between? (I though I've seen some with rigid bottoms)

Thanks!

A Diveyak is basically an inflateable kayak made by Sevylor. It has the same basic shape as a plastic kayak but no compartments in the hull for storage. The big advantage seems to be the ability to deflate it and transport/store in a relatively small package, instead of strapping a large plastic one to the roof of your car. The LDS owner spoke pretty highly of it in comparison to the plastic ones, although he sells both. The Diveyak is relatively inexpensive as well, just over $300 for the single, and just under $500 for the double.

Heres an online flyer:
http://www.diveus.com/catalog/trident-diveyak-single-diver-kayak.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom