diver's who has had laser eye surgery, how was your experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junzhe Davy Zou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I am considering getting laser eye surgery. I was wondering if other divers has had it and how did the experience go for you?

I am in Canada so I do a mix of fresh water diving in the rivers and go down south for tropical diving.

Thanks

I had it performed when I was around 40 (now 65). It was great to not have to wear my contacts under my mask (although in ten years of diving with contacts, I only lost one). The downside is to not count on it enduring as you get older. I now wear a mask with a gage reader in the lower part of the faceplate, and figure pretty soon I'll need to go to a full prescription mask (I now wear glasses for both near and far vision).

I wore contact lenses with good correction prior to getting LASIK about 10 years ago. I had been diving Cozumel pretty regularly before that, and I planned the surgery so that I would be cleared to dive just before going there again. When I dived, I was immediately struck by how much better I could see in contrast to my previous good correction. My LASIK-corrected vision is 20/15 in both eyes. That's hard to beat.

I wore contact lenses with good correction prior to getting LASIK about 10 years ago. I had been diving Cozumel pretty regularly before that, and I planned the surgery so that I would be cleared to dive just before going there again. When I dived, I was immediately struck by how much better I could see in contrast to my previous good correction. My LASIK-corrected vision is 20/15 in both eyes. That's hard to beat.

I'm not a LASIK patient, but my wife is (and a diver). Her experience mirrors boulderjohn's. About 15 years post surgery she is beginning to need glassed again, but she went from essentially coke-bottle lenses to 20/20 vision, and has maintained 20/20 until the last couple years. The correction she now needs now is very slight (for reading, distance is still "normal"), and is consistent with normal "aging" of her eyes.

Best wishes.

I had interoccular lenses implanted in both eyes in my 60's. Best thing I ever did. I have 20/20 vision and can see at night and no problem reading. It took about 10 minutes per eye and was a piece of cake. I highly recommend.

I had interoccular lenses implanted in both eyes in my 60's. Best thing I ever did. I have 20/20 vision and can see at night and no problem reading. It took about 10 minutes per eye and was a piece of cake. I highly recommend.

This thread caught my eye (pun) because my eye doc has been discussing intraocular lenses with me as an option to LASIK. May I ask why you chose this opinion? Did you have cataracts? From what I have learned, it seems that the IOL is a popular option for killing two bird with one stone, since in cataract surgery the eye's lens is replaced with an IOL anyway.

My wife recently had a lens replacement for a cataract in one eye. She is now 20/20 in that eye.

Had it about six years ago and could not be happier.
I always hated wearing contacts. I was thrilled just to be able to see my alarm clock let alone find a safe place for my glasses on the dive boat.
On one hand, I would have done it years earlier, but I understand that they can now better avoid halos and night vision issues. I have had no ill effects whatsoever. Very happy I did it.
I was also happy that I held onto my original (pre prescription lenses) dive mask. Was able to have the originals put back in...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I did mine to meet the vision standard for my Navy Dive course. Best thing ever, can't believe I suffered for all those years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom