Divers North-Northwest-West of Ft. Worth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is just a curiosity/semi-research question. How many divers do we have North-Northwest-West of Ft. Worth?

The actual reason that I am asking is: I've thought about organizing and/or working with others to organize a dive club that meets somewhere on the North side of Ft. Worth. (820 and 35W, Fossil Creek, Heritage Trace and 35W).

With all due respect to the Diving Rebels, Scubadillos, etc., I just do not like to fight through rush hour traffic to get to a club meeting. Example, the Rebels meet in Arlington. Well, that's great, except for me to get there from 25 miles NW of Ft. Worth, I have to leave 1 1/2 to 2 hrs early to get to a meeting that is a 35-40 min drive in normal traffic.

I know that dive club setups have been tried before, but I'd really like to get a group stated, even if it's 6-8 people just meeting for dinner once a month.

Thanks for reading. :)

P.S. If this thread slides down the page I will be bumping it back to the top for those SB readers that only drop in ever so often. I apologize in advance if this annoys anyone. Also, I will again include my email for SB readers that don't want to join or log in:

cyprian520 at gmail dot com

Alright, maybe I'm being geographically limited in my approach, but I wasn't considering that some of the Dallas folk might consider driving to North Ft. Worth for a dive club meeting. So, how about it? Often the drive from Dallas to N FTW is much easier than a drive to Arlington, etc.

I'm just looking for local (Lake Murray, CSSP, Athens, Stillhouse Hollow, etc) divers that wouldn't mind scheduling yearly group trips to South Padre, Penascola (various wrecks, the Mighty O), North Florida Springs/Caverns/Caves, the Keys, etc.

Cyp

I'm in Rowlett so NFW is going to be a drive... I would go as far as irving.... as I do that every day for work.

Hey Cyprian i live in West Fortworth...near Whitesettlement... i think you are correct about the idea but it seems that just you and i live close xd... how far is pensacola and south padre island from fort worth?

Hey Cyprian i live in West Fortworth...near Whitesettlement... i think you are correct about the idea but it seems that just you and i live close xd... how far is pensacola and south padre island from fort worth?

There are a couple Watauga/North Richland Hills/HEB folks around here. They just haven't dropped by to post or are not interested. :)

Ft. Worth to South Padre - 550 miles +/-, so 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hrs depending on speed of travel and luck with construction and/or traffic.

Ft. Worth to Pensacola - 685 miles +/-, so 10-12 hrs.

Yeap, both are a pretty good haul, but a trip or two a year wouldn't be bad in my book.

Hey, Cyp
I'm about 75 miles northwest of you (near Wichita Falls), and there a few of us here that might be interested. I don't know if we'd be able to make it on a monthly basis, but we'd be interested in activities and meetings once in a while. Let me know how it comes along and what you have in mind.

I'd be interested too but I'm not sure Mckinney/Plano really counts for this group and again I don't think I would be up for monthly travel out that way for a meeting either unless it was more central to the metro.

I'm in Rowlett so NFW is going to be a drive... I would go as far as irving.... as I do that every day for work.

I'd be interested too but I'm not sure Mckinney/Plano really counts for this group and again I don't think I would be up for monthly travel out that way for a meeting either unless it was more central to the metro.

I'd be open for Grapevine, Roanoke, Denton...and really wouldn't have an issue having a meeting/eat/greet on Saturday, but that interferes with diving! I realize you could combine the two, but that's no fun. Meet and dive should be separate from actual meet/eat/greet. It's simply easier to set around the table and shoot the breeze, plan trips, etc. when you aren't dripping wet or stuffed into a dry suit. :) Besides, my interest also lie in helping out with Project Baseline (oh no.....not that dreaded GUE thingy) LOL. It's actually a pretty cool initiative.

"Project Baseline encourages local dive groups to document ongoing environmental conditions in their favorite aquatic environments. Then, by regularly monitoring a location and publishing data including pictures and narrative logs through Google Earth, PB aims to raise public awareness of ecological deterioration to facilitate more detailed scientific inquiry and influence public policy."

Project Baseline

Hey, Cyp
I'm about 75 miles northwest of you (near Wichita Falls), and there a few of us here that might be interested. I don't know if we'd be able to make it on a monthly basis, but we'd be interested in activities and meetings once in a while. Let me know how it comes along and what you have in mind.

Yes sir, I'll definitely keep you are your group in the loop. And I'm not saying we couldn't shift the meetings around the Metroplex and even come up North, maybe Gainesville or Bowie?

I just try to avoid anything South or Southeast of me as traffic is simply a beating getting on 35W and going to 30, and once you get past Grapevine on 114 around the 121/635 merge or anywhere around the airport its nuts again. I've tried the backroads, different routes, it doesn't matter. :)

Safe dives,

Cyp

I'm about 10 miles west of ft worth

I'm about 10 miles west of ft worth

Good, more people are starting to make their way to this thread. Welcome. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom