Divers lose boat, no pilot left aboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Former Coastie's view on several issues that came up on this thread:

Charging the people who get rescued?: When I was in the Coast Guard, this idea would surface from time to time, and the Coast Guard always opposed it because we didn't want the possibility of financial liability to prevent people from reporting distress situations early enough for us to help them. A captain who doesn't call in because he's worried about his credit card limit could endanger the lives of his passengers. We'd certainly book you and bill you for a hoax distress call, but we want people who think they might be in trouble to call us right away so we can evaluate the situation, figure out the best course of action while there are still choices, and get someone on scene if necessary.

New Laws?: Good seamanship is impossible to codify because every situation requires consideration of many situation-dependent variables. There are already legal ways to address recklessness and negligence.

Abandoned vessel?: I would hope that anyone encountering an adrift, unoccupied vessel would focus attention first on the welfare of the people who had been aboard the boat and call the Coast Guard to investigate. If you took such a boat, you'd be stealing and possibly contributing to the deaths of the occupants if they were endeavoring to return to the vessel.

Hazard to navigation?: That's a stretch. It could have become a hazard to navigation, but anyone sincerely worried about it as a hazard could have made it a non-hazard simply by properly anchoring the vessel and turning on its anchor light. There are times when the Coast Guard destroys vessels as hazards to navigation (usually unseaworthy vessels whose occupants had been arrested for smuggling drugs or migrants), but the owners of a valuable boat in good condition within towing range of port would be given the opportunity to retrieve the boat or hire a commercial towing company.

Scope of anchor chain: Many recreational boaters don't understand how anchors hold and put out only a fraction of the required chain/line. When you put out only 1 or 2 times the depth of the water, you're not anchoring, you're unintentionally performing a ship handling maneuver called dredging, which is done to move your pivot point forward and tighten your turn radius.

Float plans: If nobody ashore knows when to get worried and where to start looking for you, you have made yourself the boating equivalent of a self-reliant diver. You're on your own if a casualty occurs and you lose communications.

Swimming with her gear: Not knowing whether she could catch the boat (and it seems she succeeded only because of good fortune when the anchor re-attached to the bottom), it would have been an all-or-nothing gamble to have ditched her gear.

Diving from an unattended boat: I don't get it. Scuba divers train and equip themselves to handle all sorts of events whose probabilities of occurring are several orders of magnitude less than the chance that an anchored boat will lose its hold on the bottom. Diving from an unoccupied vessel miles offshore seems contrary to the mindset we cultivate for every other aspect of our dives. It's not that hard to find a non-diver who's willing to come along and fish with a rod and reel while you go diving.

Sticking together: It's very hard for untethered swimmers to stay together in any kind of sea state above a light chop. I'd need more information before I'd be willing to criticize them for not being able to stay in touch with each other, especially after dark.

Classic error in logic. It has never happened to me so it never will. How many times have we heard this with so many unfortunate results?

You could say that about everything in life, including going scuba diving in the first place. The error is in concluding that because doing something occasionally has unfortunate results then nobody should do it. Sometimes people make a mistake working with electricity and get electrocuted. Should a master electrician with 40 years experience retire then since it must be dumb luck not experience and skill that it's never happened to him? How many times have we heard of bad auto accidents yet we still drive cars? Planes sometimes crash and we still fly to dive destinations. Sure, we should recognize dangers and take precautions to mitigate them but maybe it's possible for one to reduce the risks to a level that is acceptable to them?

maybe it's possible for one to reduce the risks to a level that is acceptable to them?
Certainly, I totally agree. The danger is when one doesn't actually reduce the risk, but rather just reduces his perception of the risk.

Former Coastie's view on several issues that came up on this thread:
Thanks for the views. You did not mention PLBs? Now that they are so affordable, they seem like a no-brainer to me.

Thanks for the views. You did not mention PLBs? Now that they are so affordable, they seem like a no-brainer to me.

DandyDon, You're right. I should have mentioned them. It probably didn't occur to me because they weren't a factor in SAR cases when I served.

...Diving from an unattended boat: I don't get it. ....
I'm a spearo too. I'm not saying right or wrong, but many(not all) in my group have heard the acronym ' FOMO ' on the big fish. And I'm guilty too of diving off an un-attended boat.

It's not that hard to find a non-diver who's willing to come along and fish with a rod and reel while you go diving.

I might be more afraid of getting their hook into my carotid than of the anchor chain snapping, myself.

In my opinion, a PLB is not the best choice here, as triggering it starts a long chain of events that eventually gets notification to local authorities, but is often delayed by hours or even days. Other locating devices work better for local use with direct signals to boats in the area. A PLB talks to satellites, but does not provide a direct link to local boats. I did a write up on this in another thread, explaining the different types of signaling devices that are available & the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Page 5, 8th post down, post #48
Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

My personal opinion, is that a small handheld VHF with DSC is the best choice. It allows voice communication & can send your lat/long positioning to a specific boat of your choice or send it to all boats in the area as part of a distress signal. Unfortunately, this would require a good quality waterproof container, unless you leave it on a float. Other options that I would prefer would include AIS sticks, In Reach, etc. Of course, all of this requires your dive boat to have proper receiving equipment.

A Garmin Rino would be another viable option. I did not list it on my previous post, because it is not considered marine grade, as far as I know.

Does anyone think that my previous post should be a sticky somewhere?

In my opinion, a PLB is not the best choice here, as triggering it starts a long chain of events that eventually gets notification to local authorities, but is often delayed by hours or even days.
Days, huh? Yeah, right.

Other locating devices work better for local use with direct signals to boats in the area.
And if no other boats in that area, a participation award?

Does anyone think that my previous post should be a sticky somewhere?
Without extensive discussion and perhaps your credentials, nope.

Days, huh? Yeah, right.

And if no other boats in that area, a participation award?

Without extensive discussion and perhaps your credentials, nope.
PLB signals go to an international rescue agency. The signal tells them the serial number of the unit that was triggered. The agency then tries to contact the people that the owner of the PLB listed on their profile, if it was properly filled out. If the contacts indicate that the PLB owner was in fact in the indicated area & possibly in trouble, then a request for action goes out to the local authorities. If repeated attempts to contact the listed people fail, then extended delays can be encountered. Depending on where you are in the world, the quality of the response can vary greatly. If you are off the coast of a third world country, the local navy is not likely to want to expend a lot of resources looking for you. If you doubt what I say, get a plb, fill out bogus contact information in your profile & set the thing off to see what happens.

As for DSC, AIS, etc, the local weekend warriors will likely ignore any signal you send. The USCG monitors those signals & normally responds promptly. Commercial vessels in the area will typically relay information on signals received that they can't respond to themselves. Normally, they don't respond themselves. If you are outside VHF range of land & commercial vessels, then the PLB would be the necessary choice. I don't dive that far out, so I don't carry one. The needs of others may vary.

I don't care to list credentials. If you doubt the accuracy of what I say, please do your own due diligence and report back with your findings. It is healthy to have information from independent sources. I would appreciate having you corroborate or debunk what I have posted with the results of your research.

If you choose to list examples of how wonderful PLBs are, I would ask you to please try to refrain from listing information that comes from interested parties like ACR (manufacturer) and their sales staff. Please try to look up reports of incidents where they were actually used or reports from sources like USCG or foreign navy staff. In some cases I have looked up in the past, responses were fairly swift. In other cases, not so much. In some cases, not at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom