Divers hit by speeding boat off Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever seen FWC officers or USCG patrolling the beaches looking for Dive Flag violations? I haven't, and with the recent number of divers being hit by boats, I think issuing some citations would go a long way to raise awareness.

FWC definitely patrols the beach, I've been stopped probably a half dozen times over a 5 year period.

One time I was using one of those little beach balls with a flag. She told me she could write me up but would give me a break because the flag was tilted at an angle, not straight up. I thought she was being pretty chickensh**t but running around in my boat I realize now those little flags are really hard to see.

Get a boat size flag, good float and get it high, being barely legal with a small flag and float isn't the way to go. If they can't see you, they can't avoid you.

I think I will be outfitting my dive float with a siren, and explosive charges. . . that should keep those pesky boaters away . . .

Maybe I will start carrying a "bang stick" and attach it at 20ft so when I am surfacing I can use it to punch holes in any boats that are to close . . .

on a serious note, divers AND boaters both need to be wary of their surroundings. just because we have our regulation sized flag floating doesn't mean we can just float willy nilly where ever the hell we want to. . .

The bad thing about the dive flag laws are that they do not REQUIRE boaters to stay a certain distance from the flag. It only states they need to make an effort to or to just slow down when close to one.

Hey Glock, we get less diver interaction here on the west FL coast because the close to shore diving is pretty slim to none. Read that Spearboard thread I linked a few posts back, you'll see lots of FWC reports. However I believe they did work the Gulf side, Hernando & north counties during the July 1-3 scallop season opening too.

Bingo DennisS! [I]"Get a boat size flag, good float and get it high, being barely legal with a small flag and float isn't the way to go."[/I] Same for boats, add a bigger one to your legal flag, even if it's too big for a stiffener... it will be seen and the 20x24 is legal.

Letterboy, you must have read Dive Training this month... funny! You're right awareness is key.

Pro99line, "The bad thing about the dive flag laws are that they do not REQUIRE boaters to stay a certain distance from the flag. It only states they need to make an effort to or to just slow down when close to one." Close, but actually they are specific to the 300'/100' distance if the vessel speed is above minimum steerage speed, which is really no more than a fast idle. Like slow speed zones the vessel must be off plane and settled into the water.

Chad

Hey Glock, we get less diver interaction here on the west FL coast because the close to shore diving is pretty slim to none. Read that Spearboard thread I linked a few posts back, you'll see lots of FWC reports. However I believe they did work the Gulf side, Hernando & north counties during the July 1-3 scallop season opening too.

Bingo DennisS! [I]"Get a boat size flag, good float and get it high, being barely legal with a small flag and float isn't the way to go."[/I] Same for boats, add a bigger one to your legal flag, even if it's too big for a stiffener... it will be seen and the 20x24 is legal.

Letterboy, you must have read Dive Training this month... funny! You're right awareness is key.

Pro99line, "The bad thing about the dive flag laws are that they do not REQUIRE boaters to stay a certain distance from the flag. It only states they need to make an effort to or to just slow down when close to one." Close, but actually they are specific to the 300'/100' distance if the vessel speed is above minimum steerage speed, which is really no more than a fast idle. Like slow speed zones the vessel must be off plane and settled into the water.

Chad

:rofl3: nope, I just thought it was common sense :D

Chad

Cool. Thanks for clarifying. This is actually good to know cause we are going to Florida this weekend. I know all Alabama law says is the following "Vessels shall keep at least 100 feet clearance of displayed diver's flag." I don't know how well that is enforced.

I thought the Boaters license was like 1983 or 84 , i remember i got mine when i was 17 there was questions about DIve flags and all the boating sefety circumstances. THe test was a joke nobody supervises it can be done at home, and its free. I dont see people being upset about Enforcing them but i think it is also a bit of a joke that people may not take seriously. But the license is required eventhough it isnt enforced (got stop on party weekend next to party spot going fast in no wake, but in channel away from everyone going as slow as i could to keep boat afloat, when bilge pump was dead and taking on water had sobriety and boat searched but no check of the license then showed the cop and he simply replied so) i was barely able to make it back on trailer got a new one and was back on water next day

Something we can do as divers is ask for better floats and flags. A standard flag-float is just barely above the water - a little inattention on the boater's part and he/she can miss it - I have seen flag-floats that raise the flag a couple of feet above the water and why not use a larger flag?

Is this inconvenient? Well, a little as it's a larger float - but what's your health and well-being worth?

FWC definitely patrols the beach, I've been stopped probably a half dozen times over a 5 year period.

One time I was using one of those little beach balls with a flag. She told me she could write me up but would give me a break because the flag was tilted at an angle, not straight up. I thought she was being pretty chickensh**t but running around in my boat I realize now those little flags are really hard to see.

Get a boat size flag, good float and get it high, being barely legal with a small flag and float isn't the way to go. If they can't see you, they can't avoid you.

Sorry, I'll go back and edit my original post to clarify my question.

What I meant is, Has anyone ever seen FWC officers or USCG patrolling the coastal waters looking for boats violating the Dive Flag regulations? i.e. Operating a boat within 300 ft of a dive flag.

WA is putting a boating cert. law in place too but unfortinatly I think this kind of thing will still happen. I was manning our boat last weekend with 2 divers in the water when a whale watching boat came flying by me so close and fast and rocked our boat so hard it tossed everything on the floor. It was way to close to begin with let alone I had 2 diver in the water. I am so glad these 2 divers that were hit are going to be ok.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom