Divers hit by speeding boat off Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We must be very very careful when raising our voices... for example, part of the Alabama law already on the books reads:
"Scuba divers and snorkelers should not place a flag in an area already occupied by other boaters or where their diving operation will impede the normal flow of waterway traffic."
This wording is intended to keep divers out of the middle of narrow channels, where it would be impossible for boats to (legally) proceed were there a flag in the middle, but it could easily be interpreted by local LE to simply mean you can't dive where there's commonly a lot of boat traffic.
It's a matter of "who decides?" - and we need to remember there are far more boaters in LE than divers.
Rick

Totally agree Rick and very good point. i was hoping my point would be taken more toward not just assuming drunkeness or lack of knowledge by boaters. Maybe I should also say don't assume that everyone sees your flag.

I almost ran down a boat being operated by a well known S. Fla. Dive Instructor. I was running the boat, guarding the flag with my divers, he was running along the coast, talking to the guy standing next to him, obvious to the world. He didn't hear the horn but saw the black smoke from the stack as I hit the throttle.

I would gladly accept an increase to boat licensing fees if it would go towards alcohol checkpoints at the inlets (and random alcohol checks out in the ocean/intracoastal/etc)

Alcohol and boating really don't mix in my opinion, although all too many people believe the opposite.

Last weekend was "operation dry water"

FWC News - FWC part of nationwide 'Operation Dry Water' BUI enforcement

It will continue through the summer.

Last week was dive flag awareness week.

The inconsiderate, drunk and stupid are still out there, a license won't change them.

Three boating rules that would save a lot of problems:
  1. Never approach the dock any faster than you intend on hitting it.
  2. Never drive the boat where the birds are standing.
  3. Always assume the other guy is drunk.

I used to be against a boat operator license but no longer, it is clear there needs to be an operators license and a minimum age requirement. Unlike scuba gear, a boat is a motor vehicle, with potential to damage other boats, watercraft, persons and property when operated carelessly or IGNORANTLY. Just as we require an automobile operators license to enjoy the PRIVILEGE of driving, powered vessel operation is also a privilege.

It has become a free for all on the waterways, rules, regulations are not followed because they are not even known to exist, jet ski operators are the worst. The general crudity of people today (lack of manners and civility) makes it worse and then the drinking compounds the problem. N

The Sun-Sentinel had this in the story

The agency's safety campaign was designed to call attention to regulations that require divers to put out flags, and for boat operators to stay at least 100 feet away.

This was the same information that was posted for the dive flag awareness program. Several people had some very unfavorable comments online about the accuracy of the sun-sentinels information and the online edition was edited and the correct information put in the online edition. Nothing could be done about the print edition for dive flag awareness week. Approximately two weeks later, there it is again.

When Barney Beligerent and his Belchfire 5000 go by that dive flag 100 ft away at 60 mph, he believes he is legal. If the marine patrol stop him, his lawyer will probably get him off, he was 100 ft away, explaining even the reporters at the sun sentinel can't get the law straight with all their resources.

Time to head for the keys and vacation!!!

Why not just make it a law to not be stupid and injure or kill yourself?
- or -
perhaps we already have plenty of laws. Indeed, we need to junk about 80% of the ones already out there and enforce what's left.
Better yet, instill respect and kindness in society and junk 99% of 'em.
Rick (for freedom)

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

...it is clear there needs to be an operators license...a boat is a motor vehicle, with potential to damage...
rules, regulations are not followed...
Licensing will do little to change this. A few boat confiscations for gross violations... now that would cause the word to spread like wildfire, and caution to flourish.
:)
Rick

First of all, I'm happy to learn the two snorkelers (not divers as I read this story) are okay.

Secondly, clearly the boater was at fault (again based on the written report) and hopefully his 'karma' is going to change very soon.

I know this next part may not be particularly popular in this thread, but I think divers should be very cautious in calling for some sort of boating license. I'm concerned with any mandatory requirements. We don't want states to start requiring licenses for diving, especially if some state legislator decided that could be a revenue source.

This is not far fetched, especially in places like Florida. If I were a lobbyist for the boating industry and some lawmaker started making noises about mandatory boating laws because of accidents involving scuba divers; I would call for mandatory licensing of divers, with yearly renewals.

As divers, we believe in continuing education. A call for educating boaters about divers and diver down flags makes more sense than calls for boating licenses. (I realize there was a diver flag awareness week shortly before this accident, but one week is not enough to educate boaters about dive flags.)

In at least one state there is a law requiring every diver in a group to display his or her own flag, so clearly there is a danger of legislation working against us. We want to avoid that happening any further.

One place to start would be to provide boat shops with a handout, post card size, to give to boaters explaining the diver down and alpha flags. This would not be a huge effort and many dive clubs could provide the cards, say a couple thousand each year.

My point is to always be careful around swords that can cut both ways.

Jeff

Yeah I get it, however if you screw up as a diver you are usually only putting yourself and/or your buddy in danger.
You have fools who pay big $$ for offshore boats with 2 or 3 engines only to speed by the beaches to look like a big shot . No training, no knowledge and no idea what they are doing. They put OTHERS lives in danger. It's just way to easy to get in a boat and hurt someone.
I don't see how much more can be done with regard to Flag Awareness...gotta make an example out of a few of these clowns.

After similar numbers of posts and views, there is an interesting difference between the secondary tone of this thread here on ScubaBoard vs. the one on Spearboard. Primarily divers are outraged on both boards, but here on ScubaBoard the conflict is about whether or not the law should be changed concerning licensing of boaters. On Spearboard there is conflict about respect or the lack of it for marine law enforcement.

Makes me wonder.... think it means anything or is it just coincidental?

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=87572

Just for the record, I have a lot of respect for the USCG & FWC, and believe their role as enforcers is pretty tough, especially when it involves the safety of divers and boaters. The FWC has lead the way in Dive Flag Awareness. I'm also all for boating and diving education, but not sure about mandatory status.

Capt Chad

Last edited:
On another note: I, for one, do not want to submit to alcohol checkpoints at the inlets or anywhere else. There are already random checks out in the ocean/intracoastal/etc for lifejackets, undersize fish, illegal lobster, etc now. If you don’t have a reason to suspect me, leave me alone.

Has anyone ever seen FWC officers or USCG patrolling the beaches looking for Dive Flag violations? I haven't, and with the recent number of divers being hit by boats, I think issuing some citations would go a long way to raise awareness.

Just like when a major highway has alot of accidents or fatalities in a certain area. State troopers typically set up alot of speed traps to get people to slow down, and eventually they reduce the number of accidents.

Don't get me wrong-- the ultimate parties to blame here are reckless boaters, not the police; however, I think more could be done to enforce the law.

Back
Top Bottom