Divers hit by speeding boat off Hollywood Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchsea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Divers hit by speeding boat off Hollywood Beach

Just unbelievable! 200 yards off the beach with a dive flag! There really needs to be mandatory boating safety courses and licenses issued, just like with cars. They also need to enforce strict laws regarding alcohol if you are operating a boat, what do you think the chances are that these clowns were drinking already??!!

There are complete idiots out there. I saw one yesterday going up the reef line off of Dania Beach, they were traveling slow but were within 50 ft of a dive flag. They didn't veer off their course up the reefline.

It's common to have them run 200 yards offshore, that's the color line between sand and reef, they follow it.

There is no cure for stupidity and bad attitude, a lot of these people know it's a dive flag, they view it as a nuisance in their way.

:no: We should all be keeping an eye out for "Karma" and hopefully they will be caught. Something needs to be done for boaters' safety. It's unbelievable that FLORIDA of all places does not have a mandatory safety course for boaters. We are so lucky to live in such an engaging place and to have such great beaches but with ignorant and ill-equipped people it is less than desirable. I hope things change soon. There are too many of these accidents that can and should be simply avoided (especially during the designated time of the year that this is extremely publicized) :depressed:

They also need to enforce strict laws regarding alcohol if you are operating a boat, what do you think the chances are that these clowns were drinking already??!!

Unfortunatly this is probably true, and even worse, the current laws in most states almost reward the drunk driver the leaves the scene. Unless they are quickly caught DUI can't be proven and in virtually all cases the penalty for hit and run is less than DUI, in particular when someone is killed since now the worst they can get is manslaughter instead of murder. Sorry for the rant, I was the victim of a drunk that took off leaving me and my ex-wife injured. He got off virtually scot free since it could be be proven that he was drunk (in spite of 2 prior DUIs and proof that he had just left a bar the DA reduced charges to a misdemenor).

Well I'm glad to hear the victims seem like they're going to be OK, and hopefully the operator will get the "Karma" he has coming to him.

I have a small (19ft) boat that I use for diving, fishing, cruising around with family and friends. There are 3 weekends I NEVER go out...Labor, Memorial, and 4th of July. During the summer I go out often during the week when it is much more relaxed and still almost always see someone do something stupid, inconsiderate or reckless!
It's a bright red and white flag!! How hard can it be to stay the hell away from it??!!

Good to hear the Father and son were treated and released. Is it hard to find a boat like that?

:no: We should all be keeping an eye out for "Karma" and hopefully they will be caught. Something needs to be done for boaters' safety. It's unbelievable that FLORIDA of all places does not have a mandatory safety course for boaters. We are so lucky to live in such an engaging place and to have such great beaches but with ignorant and ill-equipped people it is less than desirable. I hope things change soon. There are too many of these accidents that can and should be simply avoided (especially during the designated time of the year that this is extremely publicized) :depressed:
Yep, sure - but that would be bad for business, and we know which comes first in the legislatures.

They are grandfathering in boating safety, if you were born after a certain date you have to go through a boating safety course, if you are under a certain age you have to go through a boating safety course. Those affected aren't a mojor voting force, so the legislature doesn't have to worry.

327.395 Boating safety identification cards.--

437 (1) A person born on or after January 1, 1988, 21 years of
438 age or younger may not operate a vessel powered by a motor of 10
439 horsepower or greater unless such person has in his or her
440 possession aboard the vessel photographic identification and a
441 boater safety identification card issued by the commission which
442 shows that he or she has:

They are grandfathering in boating safety, if you were born after a certain date you have to go through a boating safety course, if you are under a certain age you have to go through a boating safety course. Those affected aren't old enough to vote, so the legislature doesn't have to worry.
I was thinking more about the rental tourists than boat owners. Good boating safety regulations and requirements would decrease boat rentals and indirectly decrease tourism income in many related businesses. Sure it should be required, or boat and jet ski operators alike, but how likely...?

Glad this father and son were not seriously injured. Saw where a father and son went fishing in a canoe in Florida this weekend, overturned, dad drowned. You don't have any requirements for PFDs to be worn either do you? I don't think Texas is better in either regard. At least we have seat belt laws.

They are grandfathering in boating safety, if you were born after a certain date you have to go through a boating safety course, if you are under a certain age you have to go through a boating safety course. Those affected aren't old enough to vote, so the legislature doesn't have to worry.

Actually the current age for boating license is 21.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom