Divers discover 1500 live ammunition shells under NY bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Our Navy knows notttthing! Be careful what you touch down there...! :shocked2:

From Divers discover 1500 live ammunition shells under NY bridge | Herald Sun
COMMERCIAL divers were confident Sunday that they uncovered what the Navy missed more than 50 years ago during a frantic search that made national headlines in the US: roughly 1500 live shells that went overboard into New York's Verrazano Narrows and Gravesend Bay.

A four-person crew was last week searching for artifacts in the murky waters off New York Harbour's former Fort Lafayette - an island near Bay Ridge destroyed in 1960 to pave the way for the Verrazano Bridge.

Initially, the team planned to photograph a few small shells they found last year. But this time around, diver Gene Ritter was blown away by what he saw on the sea floor.

Scattered under only six meters of water were eight WWII-era copper artillery shells - including one five feet long - designed to shoot down airplanes and about 1500 large calibre machine gun shells designed to explode on contact.

"What a find," Mr Ritter said as he climbed aboard the vessel.

"They're all over the place. Hundreds of them."

He believes the ammunition came from the stockpile of 14,470 live rounds that splashed into the bay during a military accident March 4, 1954. The aircraft carrier USS Bennington, moored off the fort, had unloaded the firepower onto a barge that broke free during a storm, overturned and drifted six miles to the Rockaways, littering the muddy sea floor with live ammunition along the way.

The discovery raised serious safety concerns about whether New York City authorities should dredge in Gravesend Bay, a mile south of the Bennington accident site, to build a waste transfer station, said Assemblyman William Colton (D-Brooklyn).

The Navy disavowed knowledge of the shells' origins or responsibility for removing them, and a spokesman said the divers should call local authorities.

The diver in the article is a local character here.I know him from my days teaching in NYC.Nice enough guy.He dives for his own enjoyment along the brooklyn waterfronts.He dove quite a bit around the old coney island amusement area. The photo of him in the article I saw reminds me we have both aged quite a bit from the last time I saw him.

"The Navy disavowed knowledge of the shells' origins or responsibility for removing them, and a spokesman said the divers should call local authorities."

Got to love the Federal Government...

I guess five feet long shells are more common in that community.

Salvager's Rights!!!

Salvage & sell off at gun shows.:D

Nope, NY claims anything older then 50 years as the cultural property of the State of NY. So, I guess the NY Historic Preservation Office will be claiming these for preservation and curation.......... NOT

If it costs the State money they will do all they can to get the Navy to pay for the clean up and disposial.

Salvager's Rights!!!

Salvage & sell off at gun shows.:D

Better you than me. We had a lady drop off some 20mm rounds that her late husband brought back from WWII at the museum. Thanked her kindly, immediately call EOD and gently transferred them to the vault. After being submerged that long, the best shot will be to destroy in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom