• 48 to 57

Votes: 69 24.7%
  • 58 to 67

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Even older!

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least 60 college-aged kids per semester pass through our university's OW class. Those teenie boppers must be diving somewhere.

Of course, there's also the adage to consider that over half of the people that complete their basic OW class never dive again. Hooyah.

Jason Ooi:
I'm 37....still young!!!!!!

As compared to what? dirt? very old trees? God himself?

LOL...just kiddin..I'm not too far behind at 31 (almost 32)...:wink:

Divmstr223:
As compared to what? dirt? very old trees? God himself?

LOL...just kiddin..I'm not too far behind at 31 (almost 32)...:wink:
HAHA.......you are younger than me.... dude...:popcorn:

Couldnt afford to learn in college, took a job where I had the money but not the time. At 24 I had both the time and the money so I finally did it. Now Im almost 27 and glad I made the time to learn. Now I working and soon to be living in a country where I can dive every day of the year.

The old fogies are leading the polls...come on 28 to 37's...where ya at?

I'm 29.

I think intial cost is the major factor, but there are other reasons as well. It's a different kind of hobby. You need a buddy; a body of water to dive in; time to plan, and rent gear (if you don't have it); a level head so you STICK to your dive plan; and a true passion for diving. If you "kind of" like diving, you won't do it. Planning a dive is not like calling your buddy up for a trip to the driving range. It takes work. And lets face it, there are a lot of people out there that think "work" is a four letter word.

However, most people I know are scared to death of the ocean, and all the sea monsters that live in it. I think that discourages 90% of them from even "considering" diving.

akscuba:
So, I've noted the lack of younger divers too (I'm 22, got certified at 21), but what I've REALLY noticed is the lack of women my age who dive. Almost every boat I want on in Mass would be me and a bunch of men 35-60 years old. In fact, I can honestly say that in MA, I never met a single female diver in her 20s...I heard of one, but for all I know she's imaginary since I never met her.

Since moving to CA, I've seen a few women, but mostly, again, above 35.

Are 20 something women cheaper than 20 something men? Or do we just not like the cold water in MA and CA? Any women from Hawaii or Florida want to chime in? :)

*raises hand*

I am a 22 year old female diver. :D Though I've experienced the same. Most of my dive buddies are male, and on every charter I have been on, I am always the only female.

But I do assure you, young female divers do exist. :D

Goodness gracious, you guys are kids.

I learned to dive at 51. I'm 52 now. I'd dive with an 18 year old new diver, if said 18 year old had a good, humble attitude toward diving and learning. (I'd dive with an 80 year old with the same attitude.)

My dive buddies range from 35 to older than I am. It's all good.

creamofwheat:
*raises hand*

I am a 22 year old female diver. :D Though I've experienced the same. Most of my dive buddies are male, and on every charter I have been on, I am always the only female.

But I do assure you, young female divers do exist. :D
hahah....

i thought you were a guy.... oops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom