Divers Adrift in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quaff King:
They made some mistakes but survived. I doubt they will ever dive from an unatteded boat again. Hopefully they will tell everyone they know about their struggle for survival so others will think twice berfore they back roll from an empty boat.

Not directed at you Quaff, but at the posts on this in general...

Many people I know dive off empty boats here in the Boston area....it's done all the time and I do it all the time. You can have your opinions but they are just that. Same as the people who say solo diving is just plain stupid.

Precautions can be taken to minimize risk, and I do take those precautions. I chain my anchor to a rock and dive with a reel tied to the anchor. Also in these conditions I usually go pretty near land that I could swim to if need be.

My point is that many people here seem to be all panties in a twist over people diving an unattended boat... but all I can say if it bothers you that much, then don't do it, but really don't preach to everyone else anymore than I want to hear the preachers against solo diving. Don't solo dive if it bothers you either. In fact, to really be a safe and risk free diver.....don't dive at all! Then you can stand on the shore wagging your finger at the people in the water and yell at them about what fools they are taking such risks.....geesh....

Sorry for the mini rant....

John C.

jchaplain:

Many people I know dive off empty boats here in the Boston area....it's done all the time and I do it all the time. You can have your opinions but they are just that. Same as the people who say solo diving is just plain stupid.

Precautions can be taken to minimize risk, and I do take those precautions. I chain my anchor to a rock and dive with a reel tied to the anchor. Also in these conditions I usually go pretty near land that I could swim to if need be.

My point is that many people here seem to be all panties in a twist over people diving an unattended boat... but all I can say if it bothers you that much, then don't do it, but really don't preach to everyone else anymore than I want to hear the preachers against solo diving. Don't solo dive if it bothers you either. In fact, to really be a safe and risk free diver.....don't dive at all! Then you can stand on the shore wagging your finger at the people in the water and yell at them about what fools they are taking such risks.....geesh....

John C.

I see people diving from unattended boats all the time and, yes, I have done it (will do it again) myself. The big difference in what you are talking about and what happened to these two gentelmen, to put it bluntly, is foolishness. As you mentioned above, you take precautions. These gentlemen threw caution to the wind and put more than themselves in harms way. And therein lies my gripe. Do what you want as long as you don't put others at risk.
The conditions the day these gentlemen went out diving were, in a word, crappy. The winds were onshore and about 20-25 kts. Seas were 6-8 ft reported by one of the local dive ops that tried to run a trip but turned around and cancled. If a person really wants to dive in such conditions to a depth of aprox. 25 ft with vis most likely around 5 ft, so be it. Yes, I do question the reasoning for this, but again, so be it. The real problem comes from mooring a 2200 lbs vessel with a 1/4 inch to 5/8 inch line in 5-7 ft choppy seas and expecting it to be there when you return.
I don't appologize for this rant. It makes me mad that these two have recieved press praising their survival of shark infested waters, cold, and their mental battle for survival. The most dangerous thing these two survived was their own stupidity. If these guys want press, they have to take the bad with the good and here's the bad. The ugly unembelished truth.

John, this isn't directed at you. Sorry you were offended by previous posts, but this really has nothing to do with the way you've described your diving. You sound like you give thought to what, when, and how you do things.

cheers

jchaplain:

John C.

Regarding solo diving - I agree when you are self-sufficient with back-up it can be about as safe as with a buddy team.

Leaving the boat attended should be the same principle - what is your back-up when you come up and it isn't there? If you can reach shore easily and can get help on that shore - thats OK. BUT if you don't have those back-ups AND still leave the boat attended, it is stupid and I call that job security.

You make a VERY good point about boating/diving conditions. I will only do an empty boat dive in the best of conditions....sunny day with flat calm seas, safe areas outside of shipping lanes...and stay pretty close to the boat connected with a reel.
No offense taken personally, I just don't like to hear folks calling people idiots or fools here just because they empty boat dive. Thats way too narrow minded and pompous.

John C.

Unfortunately i have to disagree, i am not saying it is right but me and my wife dive off our boat all the time. We try to stay close and have a star tracker for underwater

I noticed that others go diving in high seas with commercial ops and that is pretty dangerous too. Most of the incidents be it solo or commercial involve high seas maybe some regulations should be put in place to limit diving in high seas but then that is big govt interfering again, who knows the right answer

jchaplain:
You make a VERY good point about boating/diving conditions. I will only do an empty boat dive in the best of conditions....sunny day with flat calm seas, safe areas outside of shipping lanes...and stay pretty close to the boat connected with a reel.
No offense taken personally, I just don't like to hear folks calling people idiots or fools here just because they empty boat dive. Thats way too narrow minded and pompous.

John C.

Can you please explain how you stay connected by the reel?

deeper thoughts:
I noticed that others go diving in high seas with commercial ops and that is pretty dangerous too. Most of the incidents be it solo or commercial involve high seas maybe some regulations should be put in place to limit diving in high seas but then that is big govt interfering again, who knows the right answer

Commercial operations (I assume you mean saturation divers or NAVY divers) that dive in heavy seas have lots of safety protocols. If you mean commercial op as in a dive shop, there is always a captain on board and on bigger boats a seperate divemaster.

If a person is trained, has the experience, has their own safety plan and outline and wants to go diving in high seas, go for it. If a person such as this gets in trouble, fine I see no fault with sending multiple agencies to help and rescue. This is NOT the case with this accident.

catherine96821:
Can you please explain how you stay connected by the reel?
I think he mentioned earlier using a chain for an anchor line, then a reel connected to the anchor for his diving.

His approach to leaving an unattended boat is much sounder than the victims from the story.

my1ocean:
Commercial operations (I assume you mean saturation divers or NAVY divers) that dive in heavy seas have lots of safety protocols. If you mean commercial op as in a dive shop, there is always a captain on board and on bigger boats a seperate divemaster.

If a person is trained, has the experience, has their own safety plan and outline and wants to go diving in high seas, go for it. If a person such as this gets in trouble, fine I see no fault with sending multiple agencies to help and rescue. This is NOT the case with this accident.
Unfortunaterly the divers on the comm ops are not accustomed to the high seas that our reefs and wrecks bring sometimes and we read way to many stories about accidents in the local paper. I guess the question is do we further regulate the in dustry when it comes to sea conditions pertaining to dive ops,of course this would impact the profit margin. I understand about the boat renters and now i am posing another question.

Back
Top Bottom