DiverGuard: Is this for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have concerns of rate of accent, however I'd rather be at the surface than on the bottom if my breathing stopped. The reason for my consideration of this device is because I'm a solo diver most of the time. I do have someone on the surface in a boat that could assist me if needed in an emergency. I've been diving for 45 years now with no real eventfull pesonal emergency. However I had a close friend electrocuted while diving a fresh water lake and if he would have had this device we probably could have found him in time to save him. So being a solo diver I will consider this device as a saftey backup just like my Spare Air system. I also believe in giving it the real world test time so any bugs might be corrected. An uncontrolled accent does not make a good day. The companies answer for this scenario is to simply quick release you low pres. BC hose. In a perfect situation this is entirey possible but you need to be quick and not hesitate has you know as you accend your rate will increase fast.
Just my thoughts, so let's give it a chance and see how it performs before condemning in. Progress comes slow but normally it will improve our sport.
I would truely appreciate any objective in use reviews in the future. I understand it will be available in Jan 2013
Cheers

I understand your position and agree, only time spent in the real work environments will tell. I am also a solo diver most of time, sometimes off a dive boat, sometimes with no one on the surface. The concept has appeal. I assume your friend was diving in a marina when he was electrocuted, this is one high risk area that might have a benefit.

There are a couple of alarm bells ringing in their cheesy marketing attempt that triggered some skeptical remarks.
1) The blatant misuse of statistics trying to make a case that since over 1/2 of dive fatalities are drowning, this could prevent them. Drowning is typically the result, not the trigger. A closer analysis still show running out of air is the leading cause and drowning the result. Since this device does nothing when you run out of air, the number of cases it could help is much lower.
2) Reliably automating buoyancy is a tough nut to crack. There is a realistic chance of a false trigger with adverse consequences.
3) BCD's are not life vest, they are not designed to insure your airway is above the water line. So you might ascend after a heart attack, but still drown being face down on the surface.
4) Even if you have someone in a boat above, are they going to be able to assist you fast enough to make a difference? Once you actually stop breathing, the time before significant brain damage is critical and a buddy next to you is going to be faster than waiting for help from a boat.

No the accident wasn't near any marina, open Lake along a Bluff shoreline. Some ditz installed a water pump 220 volts hard wired it w/ no breaker and tossed it into the lake for watering is yard up on a hill above the lake. The live wires were wrapped around the pump hose. Over time the insulation was worn away by wave action on the shoreline rocks. The hose and electric wire were grown over with algae so they were well camo'd. My friend was at the wrong place at the wrong time when the pump kicked on. I recovered him but was unsuccessful with CPR. Its a miracle I'm alive to tel this story. I pulled him off the wire by holding the plastic backpack handle attached to his BCD.
The hose and electric line just looked like a root on the bottom you would have never known what it was. I wasn't aware of exactly what had happen untill after I surfacee and saw the hose and wires laying up on the rocky shoreline. Gods hand was on me that day so I got a second chance.
This a good lesson to pass forward to others when diving lakes be aware of nearby homes and watch for any lines, hose etc... running into the lake.

As far as the DiveGuard is concerned I'll wait for some feed back over the next several months before making up my mind.

Last edited:
I'm resurrecting this because the SB ad is just killing me.

Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 7.13.27 PM.png

"You seem to be exhibiting a pattern consistent with panicked breathing. Allow me to soothe you with this blaring, persistent klaxon."

This thing sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wonder how it works if you're doing deco from a swing bottle or have switched to a pony and reserved some air in your main tank for BC inflation? And the noise? Don't get me started.

I too have concerns of rate of accent, however I'd rather be at the surface than on the bottom if my breathing stopped. The reason for my consideration of this device is because I'm a solo diver most of the time. I do have someone on the surface in a boat that could assist me if needed in an emergency.
There has been a lot of bashing of the product, but, I'll try analyze this seriously.

Like okiedown, I am a solo diver as well. In my solo and technical diving training I have learned to solve almost any problem underwater, EXCEPT losing consciousness or capability to react (due to medical conditions, ox toc or bad gas). If you lose consciousness whilst solo diving, there is a big likelihood of you dropping your regulator and sooner or later breathing water. Perhaps that would be a last chance awakening call.

In the lost consciousness/capability situation, even an imperfect ride to the surface will be less risky than 100% sure drowning.

An additional benefit is to lessen the trauma caused to next-of-kin if the body is lost in the depths of sea since it might take a year or longer before all the legal and funeral proceedings can be handled (depending on country of course).

However, the product has several shortcomings:
1) the newer version monitors lack of breathing for 40 seconds until it sounds its alarm. Well maybe the alarm might "awaken" the unconscious solo diver?? But only after a further 20 seconds does the device start ascending you. For a false alarm situation the 20 seconds is much better than 7 seconds. But, for an actual emergency situation you would already have lost a total of a minute. Remember that brain damage is likely after 5 minutes of not breathing.

2) the ascent rate should definitely be controlled. But why isn't there any autoinflating/deflating/autoadjusting BCDs on the market? Perhaps autodeflating/adjusting is just too risky for technology i.e. manufacturers´ liabilities.

3) the device is much larger than other inflators on the market. Based on the pictures on their web site, it would seem far more cumbersome to reach the deflate button and to deflate the BCD especially in situations where you need to react fast. This shortcoming alone is sufficient for me not to purchase the product.

4) I wonder how the device should be cleaned and maintained (unless this meant only for once-a-year holiday divers who do not care)

5) There are obviously more failure points than with a regular inflator. Most of my dives are in cold waters (4 degrees Centrigrade or colder) and there is constantly the risk of the inflator freezing. With a more complex design the risk is greater.

6) not suited for multitank diving because the device is not able to continue breathing monitoring.

7) would add risk in overhead environments without any benefits.

Based on the above, I would not purchase this particular product eventhough as a solo diver I feel I have a need for something like this. For a solo diver, a full-face-mask would be a better option, but, that is another story.

Back
Top Bottom