DiverGuard: Is this for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW, this thread has it all. A bad idea, bashing of a entirely different manufacturer, and personal attack, agency bashing. How does it get any better?

To be fair, I don't think anyone is actually criticizing SP here. I was simply saying that if SP did decide to market this, Beav would have to change his stance. Especially if there was a Ltd. Ed. version involved. If you think that kind of good-natured joshing is tantamount to a personal attack... well, you must be great fun at parties.

:rofl3:

That "alarm" sounds too like Spongebob's laugh for this to be real.

Personally, I would love to take the Rescue diver course that DiverGuard would offer. The final exam would be differentiating turkey calls from duck quacks and dog barks.

They really should have made the alarm sound like the opening music from JAWS.

I guess my only question would be: How long will it be before DiverGuard has a unit that will work for all those folks who have I3 BCDs?

Seems like a huge potential market that's being grossly overlooked here . . .

In their defense, it's also offered in black and yellow.

WOW, this thread has it all. A bad idea, bashing of a entirely different manufacturer, and personal attack, agency bashing. How does it get any better?

Easy... SPLIT FINS!

:d

I have a feature request list before I consider this product:

1. integrated depth guage to automatically add/release air to my BC and drysuit based on depth, keeping me perfectly neutral throughout my dive

2. buttons to close valves, so I don't have to reach behind my head to do a valve drill

3. integrated scooter so I don't have to kick

4. it should also alert me when there are interesting fish around telling me to look left or right

5. homing device so it takes me back to my starting point eliminating the need for a compass

6. automatic dsmb deployment

7. wireless headphones for me and my buddy so we don't get a beating from the others on the dive boat

8. remote control so I don't have to keep reaching for my inflator hose

...and safest of all -- just watch diving on TV !

I too have concerns of rate of accent, however I'd rather be at the surface than on the bottom if my breathing stopped. The reason for my consideration of this device is because I'm a solo diver most of the time. I do have someone on the surface in a boat that could assist me if needed in an emergency. I've been diving for 45 years now with no real eventfull pesonal emergency. However I had a close friend electrocuted while diving a fresh water lake and if he would have had this device we probably could have found him in time to save him. So being a solo diver I will consider this device as a saftey backup just like my Spare Air system. I also believe in giving it the real world test time so any bugs might be corrected. An uncontrolled accent does not make a good day. The companies answer for this scenario is to simply quick release you low pres. BC hose. In a perfect situation this is entirey possible but you need to be quick and not hesitate has you know as you accend your rate will increase fast.
Just my thoughts, so let's give it a chance and see how it performs before condemning in. Progress comes slow but normally it will improve our sport.
I would truely appreciate any objective in use reviews in the future. I understand it will be available in Jan 2013
Cheers

Personally, I would love to take the Rescue diver course that DiverGuard would offer. The final exam would be differentiating turkey calls from duck quacks and dog barks.

They really should have made the alarm sound like the opening music from JAWS.

they have a nifty machine to randomize the exam questions:

animal_sounds.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom