Diver Vs. Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a GPO - giant Pacific Octopus to me. They commonly grow to between 50 - 100 lbs and can have an 8' or longer reach. They are found throughout the PNW.

Uncle Pug relates a very funny story about how a buddy decided to wrestle a rather large GPO. There were similar results as in the film. Pug flooded his mask a number of times he was laughing so hard.

They are normal very docile and shy creatures and only get aggressive if you act that way towards them or you have food.

Here's my theory: these guys probably dive the site often and have probably done this before without the film rolling. So the next time they decide to film it and make a quick buck solicitating it to networks.

OE2X:
They are normal very docile and shy creatures and only get aggressive if you act that way towards them or you have food.

Gee...maybe he shouldn't have cleaned his gear in the chum pot...

Paul in VT

This was obviously staged!!

Here is one GPO attacking a remotely operated vehicle followed by full reverse thrusters to get the octo to back off. The attack occurred off Brooks Peninsula on north Vancouver Island in 55 meters of water according to the article in today's National Post.

The article says only the males are aggresive and become more so as they age. "They get to be like humans (in old age), doddering old fools that have inappropriate behaviours such as being out in the daytime, said Mr. Cosgrove, an expert in octopus behaviour, adding that it was probably trying to determine if the sub was edible."
http://www.seaeye.com/whatsnew_2005.html

Real.

Those octopai are very aggressive in the Gulf of California too, especially at night at around 150fsw.

If it was staged or not, the octo was still stuck to his face, I have never seen an octopus in the wild, and i think that would be a little too close for me.

Courtneyf82:
If it was staged or not, the octo was still stuck to his face, I have never seen an octopus in the wild, and i think that would be a little too close for me.
Next time you are diving, look for a pile of shells, nice white shells, then look around, there is an octopus near that pile most likely.

Looks real to me.

Interesting story regarding our eight legged underwater friends...

A group of marine researchers were noticing that crabs kept in isolated tanks were being eaten. This problem persisted to the point where they set up video cameras to watch the tank room. Upon arrival the next day the examined the footage to find that an octopus kept in an isolated tank on the opposite side of the room was propelling itself from its own tank to the crab tank, eating dinner, and returning to its own tank.

Octopus are incredibly intelligent creatures and arguably the most intelligent marine invertabrates, and thus I wouldn't piss them off to begin with.

As you can see by may avatar Octopi are very friendly....the story is total BS!!! :D :D :D

Kidding...looks real enough to me, I'm in agreeance as to why the buddy was filming the whole time while the other guys face was being eaten for lunch though...:06:

Back
Top Bottom