Diver Vs. Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's complete crap. Back in the late 70's we used to organize octo wrestling contests that looked very much like the video. Interesting that the narrator talks about the diver losing his mask and reg yet that never happens in the vid.

Most of the divers here in the Puget Sound stopped wrestling octos when we discovered that most of them died after the struggle. It was fun for us but not so much for these guys. I've found them curious and intelligent as previous posts about their ability to find food in impossible ways will atest.

I didn't care for the video...

I agree with courtneyf82 - stuck to my face is just a *might* too close for me.

Courtneyf82:
If it was staged or not, the octo was still stuck to his face, I have never seen an octopus in the wild, and i think that would be a little too close for me.

I think it's real. It doesn't look like computer generated graphics (like the Nemo). In fact, I've seen the similar kind of clip from Discovery channel. I wasn't about an octopus attacking a diver, but a giant squid! The giant squid in Discovery show was about 6 to 7 feet long (quite large). It was wrestling with a diver trying to pull the mask out of his face (pretty much like this octopus clip). The only thing I think is not real is the diver pretending to struggle for a while trying to get away from the octopus. Come on, we human are much stronger that the creature. If the diver really wants to scare (or even kill) the octopus, he can just squeeze the octopus soft-body like squeezing a balloon. I'm sure the octopus would leave him alone.

So, IMHO I believe the clip is real but the struggling is bogus. eyebrow

Patrick

If something is trying to pull my mask or reg. Well thats real enough for me. Just like anything safe (staged or not ) can still have its consequences. just like driving to work everyday.

Fish_Whisperer:
If this happened for real, I would have ventilated that octopus approximately 532 times with my dive knife. *shudder*

LMAO oh man that was good.:1poke: why not 533. just to make sure. You could even bring it home and just take a stab whenever the wife/GF piss you off.

One lucky ******* , if it was staged , the person is probably the stupidest person int he world. They have a beck that could have easily broklen his mask, taken fingers off etc etc. Those things are all muscle , and have a hell of an advantage when it comes to arms.

Fish_Whisperer:
If this happened for real, I would have ventilated that octopus approximately 532 times with my dive knife. *shudder*

Tako sushi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom