Diver Training: Kick-up the intensity, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think your course should cost more and there is a niche for it. I would assume it also takes more pool (and ocean?) time. This would present a problem for some like me on the Eastern Shore, as you know gas prices here in NS.

I too think your course should cost more and there is a niche for it. I would assume it also takes more pool (and ocean?) time. This would present a problem for some like me on the Eastern Shore, as you know gas prices here in NS.

Yes, the basic program is primarily classroom and pool. I run an advanced program for divers who have completed the initial program; which is all OW (briefings at the dive site). Over and above the NAUI Advanced program, I cover deeper diving and an introduction to wreck diving.

I'm not too sure how long I'm going to do this. I've been thinking of taking a position at the IMCA as their technical advisor. Apparently they want help with their commercial certification process (various commercial schools), but I don't know what I'll do. It's nice to know that the commercial industry seems to be gearing-up again; perhaps it's the high cost of gas in NS that's driving it... :)

Last edited:
DCBC--thinking about it a bit more. Strictly for prospective here not to argue with you.
You are forgetting something. When I was taught to dive it was in the J valve,horseshou (toilet seat)collar BC days.
At the time dad was training me I diddn't think so but I was pretty lucky I got propperly trained.
A Heck of a lot of guys got little or NO training in scuba.If they were hunters and collectors (shellfish/lobster diving) they never got any training.
The lucky ones joined clubs and as a result the NZUA was established.
I guess my point is -you look back on the "old days" with affection. I look back and shudder.
Yep nowadays darwinism is still in full effect but at least the eejuts are getting some training even if it isn't to a high standard. That and Gear quality is improving beyond measure.
I still feel there is a place for your training but I'd prefer the eejuts get some training.

On a side note. My dad is now in his 70's. He met my mum when based in Pompey (Portsmouth) whilst doing some of his training.
But their training was mostly up in scotland. He started out doing hardhat and lead boots stuff for ship maintainence. Then got rebreather trained and into aqualung as it came on stream.
Interesting that back then they always dove in buddy pairs. One "worker" and one lookout.
He said the money in hardhat work even back then was a decent amount more than basic rating pay.
But then again getting bent was a real life risk back then and gear technology was in its infancy.

DCBC-you look back on the "old days" with affection. I look back and shudder...

By and large, Divers back then were much fitter to go into the water, they had greater situational awareness and were less reliant on their equipment (although back then you needed to be, as the equipment wasn't as reliable as it is today). :) I suppose that I feel that a Diver is better prepared to dive safely if s/he:

1/ has more training, rather than less;
2/ is fit and a good swimmer, rather than being a poor or non-swimmer who may be out of shape;
3/ knows something about underwater rescue, rather than diving without this knowledge;
4/ knows the theory in more detail;
5/ has a greater competence in dive planning, gas consumption/projection and tides tables (where it's a factor);
6/ is more confident in the water with SCUBA (better prepared to deal with anxiety underwater);
7/ has an opportunity to experience narcosis above the water (rather than below it);
8/ have a full diving medical, rather than just signing a waiver as a prerequisite;
9/ etc., etc.

But that's one guys opinion... I'm just not interested in teaching a paint by numbers program (no insult implied to Instructors that do). We all have our preferences.

Different people want to learn in different ways and some find a challenging program more interesting. As evidenced from some replies, others don't.

Thanks for your comments.

I think the course itself sounds ok. Perhaps a bit excessive, but I know I would have benefited from more time spent on pool exercises and more ow dives.

What I can't get past is the 1000 yard ocean swim in 4-5 foot swell and -2c deg water... Am I reading that right? I haven't seen many people on dive boats that could complete that (I'm pretty sure it would straight up kill me) and I can't see how it could even remotely be seen as being necessary for an OW cert.

What I can't get past is the 1000 yard ocean swim in 4-5 foot swell and -2c deg water... Am I reading that right? I haven't seen many people on dive boats that could complete that (I'm pretty sure it would straight up kill me) and I can't see how it could even remotely be seen as being necessary for an OW cert.

It's not actually that bad; you might be surprised. We can all accomplish much more that we think we can. The water temperature is really dependent upon the time of the year it's done. The purpose of this is to prepare a diver to deal with the possibility of finding themselves farther away from the exit point/boat than intended and/or having to face an unfavorable current (effort) at the end of a dive.

Any exercise should have a reason. The ocean swim drives home the advantages of good dive planning, underwater navigation, gas management, buddy proximity, diver recovery tools, etc.. In any event, a long surface swim is something that's often required here.

If the content of your course fit with what I was trying to learn/improve at the time, I would take it. I like my skills and knowledge to exceed the requirements of the situation/environment. As an example, I'm considering taking a technical diving course or courses at some point in the future even though I will probably never do a "technical" dive. I feel that what I would learn would make me a much better open water diver......I would consider your course for similar reasons.

I took an 80 hour wilderness first responder certification, just so I could address backcountry medical emergencies, if necessary. It's highly unlikely that I will ever need to deal with much more than a gash or sprain, but I like to be "over prepared".

Sorry dude. Too old for the Seal regime. Nor do I think it's necessary or even benificial for most recreational divers. What I do think is that if your standards were imposed there would be far fewer divers and not a lot more proficiency nor safety. Personally, I couldn't pass your "in water evaluation" - I'm now 67. However I am both proficient and safe. I wonder if the intensity is more for your ego than you think.

...I like my skills and knowledge to exceed the requirements of the situation/environment. ... I like to be "over prepared".

Great attitude. Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps its an oversimplification, but I see two types of divers out there. There's the vacation divers who will always be shuttled around by a DM in clear water and perfect conditions and there's the divers who want to dive every weekend because they love diving (who live in places where there is no DM to shuttle them around and often can't see past the end of their arm). Your course seems appropriate for the latter. I'd love to have had that type of rigor given the diving environment we have here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom