diver presumed dead in Petawawa River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenhulk,

thank you for posting. My sincere condolences to you and your family. I cannot imagine your sadness. We are all saddened by your son's death.

catherine in hawaii

Again, let me express my sincerest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your son.

greenhulk:
My son has born the brunt of the critism as people say he could have just said no, he didn't "trust" the dive. Try doing that in the military sometime and see where it gets you!

greenhulk,

First things first. Let me say that I'm sorry for your loss. No parent should ever have to bury their child. I wish you strength and peace in this most difficult of times!

It's good that you took the time to write this. Often, people react to tragedy by looking for ways that it could have been avoided. I think where you see your son taking the "brunt of the criticism" you could just as easly see people who share his passion wishing that this had never happened. We do not know him but many here speak from their own innate fear of dying while diving and we all feel a common bond with any diver who dies "in the field".

R..

greenhulk, please accept my sincere condolences to you and your family on the loss of your son. And thank you for your posting, it has put a few things into perspective for me.

Mike (in Ottawa)

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Greenhulk. One thing good that can come out of this is maybe there will be a change in procedures/decision-making process to prevent injury to future divers.

Chantal

I haven't read everyone's posts. But from what I have read I am amazed at the hostile comments and criticisms. Especially since few have ever been anywhere close to the area and don't understand what, to the folks there, is a normal diving environment. In addition we just don't know the facts. We know extracts as reported and edited by others.

This incident and the comments about it reinforces a point. There is a crying need for mandatory reporting and analysis of ALL diving incidents and accidents much like in the aviation industry. Without that we will never know all the facts, not suppositions, about incidents such as this. Without knowing we are denied the opportunity to learn. Instead all we can do is swap ignorance.

I feel badly for the lost person and for the fellow divers who were there. My prayer is that maybe this death will be the one that motivates us all to establish a system so we can learn from the tragedy.

Edited after reading Greenhulk"s comments:

After my post I went back and read yours. Unfortunately in the military there are many instances where people have paid with their lives for other's poor decisions. I hope the military there will make you privy to the results of their investigation. Most of all I grieve with you for the loss of a fine young man who took reponsibility for the welfare of his country and all of us by serving in the CF.

Greenhulk,
I am sorry for your loss. Thankyou for posting.

Polly

ArcticDiver:
There is a crying need for mandatory reporting and analysis of ALL diving incidents and accidents much like in the aviation industry. Without that we will never know all the facts, not suppositions, about incidents such as this.
I couldnt agree more. It would also be beneficial to have a reporting procedure for incidents that do not result in death -- a system allowing anonymous reporting by anyone involved or witnessing troublesome events.

Willie

Greenhulk,

My most sincere condolances for your loss and thanks for your taking the time to post here in this time of sorrow.

I know many of us will be following this investigation as closely as possible and hoping for answers to the many questions, if not for our own sake, then certainly for yours.

Our thoughts are with you.

Jeff

Greenhulk:

I am an Ottawa diver just down river from you. I am so sad at the loss of your son and I hope that you get all the answers that you are after. I dive mostly the St. Lawrence, never been up your way. When I first heard of this tragic accident, I wondered if I knew the diver. I know some divers from Petawawa. I pray that God will comfort you through this time. Thank you for posting, as you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom