Diver Pick-up Boats

Would you dive from a liveaboard if it had no pickup boat for divers who could not make it back

• No

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Maybe, see reply in thread

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive boat is single engine, so I whole-heartedly agree. But there is a huge difference between running a day boat in a populated area with rescue services on tap to running a liveaboard in a remote area (which is the whole point of a liveaboard), probably in a third world country.
I worked in extremely remote locations on two liveaboards with single engines, and there was no diving without a chase boat in the water, no exceptions.
On another note, I have encountered a number of twin engine boats that could not manouver on one engine, only run in circles, so checking that the vessel can, in fact, run on one engine is a good idea before relying on that redundancy.

No, I would not dive on a vessel whose owners had that level of concern, or lack thereof for diver safety.

The “U.G.” was a former beast of a spearfishing liveaboard running to the Dry Tortugas area from Fort Meyers FL with 20 divers packing 12 drops in 3 days. NO CHASE BOAT,everyone diving solo and popping up a half mile from that huge 2knot SLOW boat that was 21 feet wide and 90 feet long!!. For 30 minutes,you floated with a stringer of dead bleeding fish, pushing sharks off and that slow boat was still taking it's slow time picking up other divers before you. It was a fight for survival. And he picked us up one by one and never turned the engines off, with 2 giant props spinning. You climbed up on the steel grate platform totally exhausted and your friends congratulated you by spraying beer & a water hose on you from the rear deck. That diving forced you to not panic, trust & use your training, and to never give up & cry.
You don't need a chase boat,,,,you need better training, better equipment & be a stronger diver.
PS..The boat was sold and also frequently ran bird photography trips not just hunting trips.

IMG_5702.JPG

The “U.G.” was a former beast of a spearfishing liveaboard running to the Dry Tortugas area from Fort Meyers FL with 20 divers packing 12 drops in 3 days. NO CHASE BOAT,everyone diving solo and popping up a half mile from that huge 2knot SLOW boat that was 21 feet wide and 90 feet long!!. For 30 minutes,you floated with a stringer of dead bleeding fish, pushing sharks off and that slow boat was still taking it's slow time picking up other divers before you. It was a fight for survival. And he picked us up one by one and never turned the engines off, with 2 giant props spinning. You climbed up on the steel grate platform totally exhausted and your friends congratulated you by spraying beer & a water hose on you from the rear deck. That diving forced you to not panic, trust & use your training, and to never give up & cry.
You don't need a chase boat,,,,you need better training, better equipment & be a stronger diver.
PS..The boat was sold and also frequently ran bird photography trips not just hunting trips.

View attachment 865477

That sounds like a s$%& show to me. I can think of many things more enjoyable than a "fighting for survival" type of dive as you have described. Maybe I'm just getting old, and wanting to stay that way.

View attachment 865477
Hi my friend,

You are not the average diver and you are not the average hunter.

I'm glad the U.G. never lost a diver.

The U.G. also doesn't sound like a liveaboard in the "open ocean." It's not clear whether "open ocean" means near-coastal waters or something more remote. And why liveaboards specifically? Perhaps @John Bantin will clarify what the significance of those elements is to the question.

The U.G. also doesn't sound like a liveaboard in the "open ocean." It's not clear whether "open ocean" means near-coastal waters or something more remote. And why liveaboards specifically? Perhaps @John Bantin will clarify what the significance of those elements is to the question.
I would imagine that @John Bantin means diving from the mother ship when swimming to the shore is prohibitive. He can answer for himself

View attachment 865477
I stopped trying to impress myself with my manhood a lot time ago. Nice fish though. We did do dives in the Dry Tortugas but it was a live boat pickup with four divers and one driver. Found a pretty cool old dinner plate from what we figured was a yacht or old cruise ship. Left it where it was.

I would imagine that @John Bantin means diving from the mother ship when swimming to the shore is prohibitive. He can answer for himself
If so, it would include most dive boats, liveaboard or day boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom