Diver Pick-up Boats

Would you dive from a liveaboard if it had no pickup boat for divers who could not make it back

• No

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Maybe, see reply in thread

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The “U.G.” was a former beast of a spearfishing liveaboard running to the Dry Tortugas area from Fort Meyers FL with 20 divers packing 12 drops in 3 days. NO CHASE BOAT,everyone diving solo and popping up a half mile from that huge 2knot SLOW boat that was 21 feet wide and 90 feet long!!. For 30 minutes,you floated with a stringer of dead bleeding fish, pushing sharks off and that slow boat was still taking it's slow time picking up other divers before you. It was a fight for survival. And he picked us up one by one and never turned the engines off, with 2 giant props spinning. You climbed up on the steel grate platform totally exhausted and your friends congratulated you by spraying beer & a water hose on you from the rear deck. That diving forced you to not panic, trust & use your training, and to never give up & cry.
You don't need a chase boat,,,,you need better training, better equipment & be a stronger diver.
PS..The boat was sold and also frequently ran bird photography trips not just hunting trips.

View attachment 865477
Just because you survived doesn’t mean it’s not f cking stupid

Most UK based liveaboards I've been on don't have chase boats or the like in the water, I think most of them have them on board somewhere. I usually use Clasina which has one and can crane deploy it, but its not in the water. Having said that, we're often in the North Sea where a 3-4m squidgy isn't going to do massively well anyway.

Rich

Most UK based liveaboards I've been on don't have chase boats or the like in the water, I think most of them have them on board somewhere. I usually use Clasina which has one and can crane deploy it, but its not in the water. Having said that, we're often in the North Sea where a 3-4m squidgy isn't going to do massively well anyway.

Rich
… and most day boats that go pretty far offshore don’t have a chase boat either. Oh and the skipper is frequently the only crew onboard.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to Liveaboards forum from Accidents, Incidents & Near Misses forum because original topic does not relate to any specific accident, incident or near miss.

I would bet any company insuring a liveaboard operation would require a boat capable of rescuing divers in need.
Insurance companies run the world
I wouldn't get on a boat without one

I would bet any company insuring a liveaboard operation would require a boat capable of rescuing divers in need.
Insurance companies run the world
I wouldn't get on a boat without one
I can assure you that commercial UK dive boats are insured and MCA coded, usually Cat 1 (150 miles offshore) or Cat 2 (60 miles, mostly dayboats). Now speaking of the average warm water liveaboard with a dinghy … :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom