Diver needed for tuesday 8/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops:
Tracy,

I'm not 100% sure but my best guess is because the hook 'n line fisher folk have powerful lobbyists that persuaded the state the put them under the "sport fish" classification. :crafty:

The state of Florida list Permit as a game fish because:

The IGFA (International Game Fish Assoc.) list it as a gamefish.

It is a very popular gamefish in the keys that attracts thousands of tourist fishermen from out of state.

They are very fast, not easy to catch and a lot of fun on a flyrod.

It has nothing to do with the "hook & line lobby", they ARE gamefish just like sailfish are gamefish and I understand they are not considered tablefare.

eandiver:
I'm seeing a lot of food here. Nice permit!

I like the last one of MissD's too.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

MoteMan:
The state of Florida list Permit as a game fish because:

The IGFA (International Game Fish Assoc.) list it as a gamefish.

It is a very popular gamefish in the keys that attracts thousands of tourist fishermen from out of state.

They are very fast, not easy to catch and a lot of fun on a flyrod.

It has nothing to do with the "hook & line lobby", they ARE gamefish just like sailfish are gamefish and I understand they are not considered tablefare.

Well if they are not table fare, I guess I would not be interested anyway. However, how does that work that spearfisherman can't have a little fun too. Maybe that fish is considered to dangerous to spear - like a sailfish would be - that would make sense to me.

Me - i just want a hogfish one day and I will be a happy lil girl :)

I guess I was raised a bit differently. I was raised with the "Eat what you kill and kill only what you plan to eat" philosophy, rather than "Kill it cause ya can", or the "Take all ya want, because if you don't get your share, someone else will" philosophy that has lead to many species being placed on the endangered or protected list including goliath grouper. I fish and spearfish, but only what I plan to eat, and only one meal worth, I'm not stockpiling my fridge in preparation for a famine.

My feelings too.

I was born and raised in North Carolina. My father and I hunted from squirrel up to to deer and it was only for what we needed to eat. There were plenty to choose from and the supply was pretty much endless so there was no point in shooting everything in sight. That way of thinking I carried into spearfishing.

Personally, I do not spear-fish but would like to some day. That said, I don't see the point in killing something you are not going to eat.

I do have to say - Johnny and I got a lobster one day and a flounder - it made for one of the best dinners. There is something very rewarding in capturing your own dinner (and we had leftovers) :wink:

I was curious how it is that only fisherman can get the Permit and not the spearfishing fella. Now that I have just said that, I get it now. The fisherman release and with a spear it is dead, yes?????

Speaking of deer, I remember when I lived in WVA and my uncles killing deer. Now there you stockpiled what you might need for the winter! We could sometimes get snowed in on that damn mountain for eons :shakehead: (Grief I just had visions of shoveling coal to bring in for the house). Come spring, it was the garden and we worked it, big time.

Missdirected:
Come spring, it was the garden

Oh good, so you can help me with the tomato plants next spring!:D :sprint:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom