Diver nearly drowns in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the Union Tribune:

SAN DIEGO — A scuba diver who reported an equipment malfunction Friday was in serious condition after nearly drowning during a swim back to shore in Mission Bay, fire officials said.

The man was diving in Ventura Cove about 10:30 a.m. when he told his dive buddy that he was having problems with his dive gear, said Maurice Luque, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

The diver surfaced and started swimming back to shore but had other unknown difficulties, Luque said.

As he began to drown, he caught the attention of an off-duty lifeguard and another person on the beach, who jumped in and pulled him to safety.

They did CPR on the diver, and responding lifeguards used a defibrillator before taking him to UCSD Medical Center. He was reported to be in serious condition, Luque said. Further information about the victim was unavailable.

Police recovered the man’s dive gear and will give it to investigators at UCSD who examine equipment in diving accidents.

The man was diving in Ventura Cove about 10:30 a.m. when he told his dive buddy that he was having problems with his dive gear

As he began to drown, he caught the attention of an off-duty lifeguard
and another person on the beach, who jumped in and pulled him to safety.

I'll ask the obvious question

What did the buddy do after the diver in distress made him or her aware of his predicament?

OK. It's his gear and now it's his buddy's fault. What next?

Gear problem > surface too fast > DCS > physically disabled during the surface swim

Medical problem > interpreted as gear problem > surface > medical problem worsens during surface swim

Maybe? Be interesting to see if the hospital relocates him to a chamber.

I hope he recovers.

Just heard that some friends of mine had a Pastor who died Tuesday night from a diving accident in San Diego. He was on life support for a couple of days and they think they heard it was an embolism. Don't know if this is the same person, but it sounds like it could be related. I'm witholding the name of the diver since it's all just rumour, but I will try to find out more.

Hemet pastor dies from complications while scuba diving
PE News
Posted: 03/03/2010 3:20 PM
More Latest Inland News >>
<< Prev | Next >>
A longtime Hemet pastor died Tuesday from injuries he suffered last week while scuba diving in San Diego.

Pastor Jim Hallman, 67, was scuba diving in San Diego's Mission Bay for lobster when he encountered complications under water, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner's office.

Hallman served as the pastor at the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Hemet on Sanderson Avenue.

Diving 11 feet deep, Hallman surfaced and began swimming back with his group when he lost consciousness and was pulled to shore.

Emergency crews arrived to find he was not breathing without a pulse. Paramedics began performing CPR until he was revived at the scene, medical examiner officials said.

Hallman was transferred from the UCSD Medical Center to a hypothermic chamber.

He died shortly before 9 p.m. from his injuries.

—John Asbury
jasbury@PE.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom