Diver nearly drowns in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a statement of absolute fact you're off the mark there Jim, no matter how much I like how your courses are designed.

Buddy separation can and does happen. If you want to argue with this one perhaps we can end up in waters where I'll show you I'm right. :)

Don't be too dogmatic, it's rarely helpful.

J

Be glad to. How would this separation occur? Vis, mechanical failure, lack of buoyancy control on one persons part, speed, strong currents? All can be adjusted for including by calling the dive. Some conditions you just don't dive in or you decide to dive alone. But if you decide to buddy up everything that goes with that needs to be considered. And that begins on the surface when you decide to dive in the first place.

Be glad to. How would this separation occur? Vis, mechanical failure, lack of buoyancy control on one persons part, speed, strong currents? All can be adjusted for including by calling the dive. Some conditions you just don't dive in or you decide to dive alone. But if you decide to buddy up everything that goes with that needs to be considered. And that begins on the surface when you decide to dive in the first place.

Saying buddy separation should never occur is like saying automobile accidents should never happen. There are clearly drivers (and divers) who are more or less likely to be involved in such an occurrence, but SH.

Not condemning the buddy but posing a question. With properly trained buddies there should never be separation.

I disagree. :wink:

If I had an equiptment failure, and I had a replacement or repair in my dive bag, and my buddy felt comfortable going solo rather than swim back in and then back out, who am I to demand that he follow me into shore and back out again? I wouldn't expect it, nor would I be offended if he didn't hold my hand to shore. On the other hand if I said, "I'm not feeling right." That would change the equation, and a buddy would be an arce not to accompany me back. In that case I would fully agree with you.

But more importantly, as a diver, my first hope in a good outcome is not my buddy. I read about these incidents in order to put myself in a position where I don't act react or respond in a way that would put me in a similar position if possible. That's the first step to being a good buddy, isn't it? :D

Back
Top Bottom