Diver missing today? 03/28/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some lessons learned - carry a Surface Marker Buoy, and know how to use it. Carry a signal mirror, and know how to use it. Carry a real audio alert device (vice the whistle on BCs).
Yes, we share those good ideas with others here, but there is only so much that Instructors can teach in OW - yet they tell new divers they are ready for the sea. Hoping a cruise boat with a paper C-card is all too common, rental gear, weight guessing, little to no experience, no good signaling devices, and so on. I wish Insts would encourage newbies to hire private DMs more. I wish my Inst had told me that back then; I felt quite confident, but I was just starting to learn.

To me this is all starting to sound a lot like the speculation and conjecture that surrounded the early thraeds after the the Scuba Mau incident.... A lot of theories, finger pointing, and lots and lots of wild speculation! And we all saw how totally wrong most of that was! I would think the prudent thing to do would be to wait till the facts are sorted out and brought to light. It may take a while, but it will eventually happen.

To me this is all starting to sound a lot like the speculation and conjecture that surrounded the early thraeds after the the Scuba Mau incident.... A lot of theories, finger pointing, and lots and lots of wild speculation! And we all saw how totally wrong most of that was! I would think the prudent thing to do would be to wait till the facts are sorted out and brought to light. It may take a while, but it will eventually happen.

Actually, AFAIR, that isn't true. The first reports of bounce diving, the depth incurred, and the horrible outcomes were right on target. It wasn't until [-]Keith[/-] Heath came in and tried to tell his lies that any "muddying" of the waters happened.

As far as waiting until the facts are "sorted out and brought to light", that simply does not happen in most of these threads. We never get a final report, and the only lessons learned are drawn from speculation.

Also, the worst thing one can do is to try and squash speculation. That immediately rebounds with charges of cover-up and distrust of the parties concerned. One should ascertain the facts, and report them, and address that which can be done in light of whatever information is released. -- US Army Management Staff College, Handling Media and Information Management.

Last edited:
That's all my step dad has told me. They still haven't been able to find her & my step dad had to get off the cruise ship & stay there till they can find her. She's retired from the army so hopefully she's able to take care of herself. Last she was seen, she was heading to the surface, no one knows if she ever made it or what happened to her.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

I'm her daughter

I don't really know how to say what I want to, because while I am normally very good with words, things like this are difficult for me. My prayers are with you and your family at this time. As a currently serving soldier in the Army, this is somewhat personal for me. I hope for the best and pray that your family and your mother have the strength to get through this.

Actually, AFAIR, that isn't true. The first reports of bounce diving, the depth incurred, and the horrible outcomes were right on target. It wasn't until Keith came in and tried to tell his lies that any "muddying" of the waters happened.

As far as waiting until the facts are "sorted out and brought to light", that simply does not happen in most of these threads. We never get a final report, and the only lessons learned are drawn from speculation.

Also, the worst thing one can do is to try and squash speculation. That immediately rebounds with charges of cover-up and distrust of the parties concerned. One should ascertain the facts, and report them, and address that which can be done in light of whatever information is released. -- US Army Management Staff College, Handling Media and Information Management.

His name is Heath not Keith.

Actually, AFAIR, that isn't true. The first reports of bounce diving, the depth incurred, and the horrible outcomes were right on target. It wasn't until Keith came in and tried to tell his lies that any "muddying" of the waters happened.

As someone who was intimately involved in that thread from the start, I will argue that there was a whole lot of misinformation thrown at us from the very beginning, and it took a long time to get the truth out.

No it won't unless potential customers press, and press hard, for such information. People with information are not providing it in the hope that this too will just blow over.

At least twice that I remember, we were diving and the currents was going south to north....we got to the end of the reef and the currents actually changed in the opposite direction and we went all the way back south. On another dive, it did the same thing, but it changed directions 3 times. It was totally weird, but we got to see more of the reef. I sure didn't have any complaints.
One more thing...when the wife surfaced, I'm wondering if she did a safety stop? Maybe she didn't and surfaced too fast and passed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom