Diver missing on Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on it for a quick 2 tanker at the start of the season, nice boat, excellent crew and serious safety protocols.

I actually cut a dive short since they scared me enough that if I was a minute over my planned runtime the coast guard was getting called. I can appreciate that level of security. "Take as long as you want but don't be late " kind of attitude.

Today is the anniversary of her sinking. RIP all victims aboard and the divers since.

On a somewhat related note, the Stockholm that sank her is still going strong (albeit under a different name and with what looks to be substantial remodeling done to her bow even after repairs necessitated by the collision). Wikipedia claims she's now "the world's oldest active oceangoing passenger ship" but...well, Wikipedia :idk:

The John Jack isn't a big boat either, I was kind of surprised when I looked at the web site. Obviously it's "big enough", but I always visualized the boats doing those sort of dives in out that far as significantly bigger.

And the Indy is 10' smaller still.

The amount of speculation is mind blowing.

And shall remain so until/unless the diver or his rig are recovered.

By the way, that trip was nominally advertised as a CCR trip. Was he on a CCR?

He dove a Meg rebreather. There was one open circuit guy on the trip.

I'll add a bit more. Divers can of course have any number of mishaps, particularly on difficult technical wreck dives. But if someone tells me that an experienced diver was suddenly lost after appearing to head safely toward the surface from 15 feet, I instinctively think somebody's head got whacked by the hull or a ladder and they were knocked unconscious. No way of knowing if that's what happened from the available data, but on a pie chart of possibilities I would suspect that would be a largeish slice.

Back
Top Bottom