Diver missing on Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People will never understand what it is to be a Northeast Wreck diver.... Till they do it...

My thoughts are with you all....

Jim...

Any news on the diver? Keeping you all in my thoughts, respect.

People will never understand what it is to be a Northeast Wreck diver.... Till they do it...

My thoughts are with you all....

Jim...

True. The North Atlantic is a tough place to work on both sides of the pond, but it gets a LOT worse north of the Arctic Circle. The Doria is just deep enough to include serious decompression constraints, but isn't all that deep by today's standards. As a sat diver in 1973, we considered her a cupcake dive in terms of depth — but that didn't stop her from kicking our butts on the shallowest sat dive of my life. There is a bigger picture here than gas planning.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

From the rules for the forum:

*Someone has died or been injured. Please show the proper dignity, etiquette and refrain from any demeaning remarks. We discourage the family from reading these threads, but you can bet they still will. Let's be civil, sensitive and still remain relevant. This forum is only intended for learning and not assigning blame.
*This is a strict 'No Troll' and 'No Chest Thumping' zone. It's not the place to keep repeating your favorite topic no matter how important or relevant you may imagine it to be. Nor is it the place to tell us how this wouldn't have happened if they dove/taught the way you do.

Posts that were deemed to violate this rule and responses were removed. If you had valuable insights contained in a post that was removed because it responded to another removed post, you are invited to repeat them in a new post.

Interesting that the article update mentions and quotes Bart Malone. He was the one I gave the spot to on the trip last week.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Any new information on what could cause someone to go missing between 20' and the ladder? Even with currents being what they are and the diver perhaps not having a DPV (though diving a CCR on that wreck without one strikes me as an unlikely choice), that's really close to simply miscalculate and get blown off without anyone noticing.

Any new information on what could cause someone to go missing between 20' and the ladder? Even with currents being what they are and the diver perhaps not having a DPV (though diving a CCR on that wreck without one strikes me as an unlikely choice), that's really close to simply miscalculate and get blown off without anyone noticing.

A very well known Colorado diver and dive shop owner disappeared in similar circumstances at Cocos a number of years ago. As they were descending on a dive, he indicated that he was having trouble and was going to ascend. He signaled to his buddy to join the group below and not ascend with him. He was ascending from about 20 feet. He never made it. His body was never found. The speculation is that he suffered a heart attack during that ascent and never broke the surface.

A very well known Colorado diver and dive shop owner disappeared in similar circumstances at Cocos a number of years ago. As they were descending on a dive, he indicated that he was having trouble and was going to ascend. He signaled to his buddy to join the group below and not ascend with him. He was ascending from about 20 feet. He never made it. His body was never found. The speculation is that he suffered a heart attack during that ascent and never broke the surface.

Yet here we have the last report of the diver's condition as normal, decompression complete, ascending as planned rather than due to a problem. Certainly he could have had a heart attack in that short span of time, and maybe dismissed earlier warning signs rather than communicating them to the buddy during deco...but damn, that's some timing.

Would be interested to know more about the SP flown on the dive and deco...obviously he's not spiking above 1.6 between 20' and the surface, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom