Diver missing off the PV coast triggers Coast Guard search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beatlejuice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone hear anything about this?...

Diver missing off the PV coast triggers Coast Guard search - The Daily Breeze
From news service reports
Posted: 07/05/2009 08:26:05 AM PDT

Authorities today were again searching the waters off Palos Verdes for a 52-year-old man believed to have been diving in Malaga Cove, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The man, who had planned an eight-hour dive this morning, failed to meet a friend at a scheduled place and time, said Anthony Turner of the Coast Guard.

The diver's vehicle was found in the parking lot, but his gear was not inside, Turner said.

Halibut, an 87-foot Coast Guard patrol boat, was brought in late Saturday night to join in the search effort, and a helicopter was set to begin flying Sunday at first light, he said.

I sure pray this is just a scheduling or vehicle problem.

Very unfortunate. No buddy? I know its just Malaga and that should be a incredibly easy place to solo, but still... An 8 hour dive?

Last edited:
I read the article this morning, too, and wondered about that duration. Perhaps it's the reporter's misunderstanding; that would not be a first.

No lobsters to be found. We boat dive PV weekly and have not seen any lobsters in 45-70 feet of water. We believed they have moved to deeper water as they do this time of year.

Sure hope he's just stranded on the coast somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom