Diver Missing Little Cayman 4/15/07?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule number 1. Stay with buddy.
Rule number 2. Refer to rule number one.

Not pointing fingers as I am as guilty as anyone. Sometime we get a little too comfortable for our own good.

Very sad for family. Still cross fingers something positive will happen.

I've seen buddy pairs split when the first one wanted to ascend but the other didn't a few times - almost saw one drown that way, but he caught up to a diver with air. Just not good. I have been tempted to send buddies up when I wasn't ready to go, but I always go with them. Too many times I read about such here...!!

I've also been tempted to dive solo, but also not good.

Sipa Dan:
I haven't wanted to write this...

THE LESSONS
We don't seem to know what happened, so it is hard to draw any definitive conclusions. Whether it was a heart attack, equipment failure, CNS toxicity from going too deep, or something else, one can only speculate. If the diver was negatively buoyant and on the wall, it is unrealistic to expect an underwater search to be successful. Personally, from what I saw, I would be quite comfortable diving with the resort/dive operation again. For me, the only lessons I can draw are to remind myself to know my buddy, to dive conservatively, and to get in physical shape before a dive trip.

L, and W's family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

:( Sipa Dan I know it was without question a hard post to write as is this one, but please know as hard as it was to read it is what we were looking to know. When I heard what happen I kept thinking I have read more dive reports on the boards with more information then I am being told here. So, I decided to go to the boards. I got here and saw your first post, but could not bring myself to say anything. I emailed Missdirected and in her true nature she helped me out to get the thread going. I thank you both, as well as everyone else for you comments, thoughts and prayers. I had heard of the buddy situation, but did not share that info with Miss until earlier today. I wanted to allow others who were there to tell what they knew without my personal feelings getting in the way.

I am sad to report the searched has been called off. L is home and with her family by her side as they will remain for a very long time or at least as long as she wants.

As a newly certified diver and family member I have to admit I had some REALLY strong feelings on the buddy situation as many of you have mentioned. I am going to choose out of respect to my family to leave it at that. However, if nothing else for all of us here please let us all learn and hear the lesson. The lesson as I see it and Sipa Dan said is KNOW YOUR BUDDY and also BE A GREAT BUDDY someone’s husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, aunt or uncle is at stake. When you say you are going to be a buddy know that is the most important thing you are doing at that time.

Toni0620:
The lesson as I see it and Sipa Dan said is KNOW YOUR BUDDY and also BE A GREAT BUDDY someone’s husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, aunt or uncle is at stake. When you say you are going to be a buddy know that is the most important thing you are doing at that time.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Thank you for the lesson you posted, I'm sure it was not easy to write.

Oh my...... How sad.... My thoughts go out to the family... I was on Grand Cayman that day diving the North Wall and then Stingray city. Didn't know of anything unusual going on... But I assume our dive wasn't in their area.. What a shame..

Toni0620:
:( Sipa Dan I know it was without question a hard post to write as is this one, but please know as hard as it was to read it is what we were looking to know. When I heard what happen I kept thinking I have read more dive reports on the boards with more information then I am being told here. So, I decided to go to the boards. I got here and saw your first post, but could not bring myself to say anything. I emailed Missdirected and in her true nature she helped me out to get the thread going. I thank you both, as well as everyone else for you comments, thoughts and prayers. I had heard of the buddy situation, but did not share that info with Miss until earlier today. I wanted to allow others who were there to tell what they knew without my personal feelings getting in the way.

I am sad to report the searched has been called off. L is home and with her family by her side as they will remain for a very long time or at least as long as she wants.

As a newly certified diver and family member I have to admit I had some REALLY strong feelings on the buddy situation as many of you have mentioned. I am going to choose out of respect to my family to leave it at that. However, if nothing else for all of us here please let us all learn and hear the lesson. The lesson as I see it and Sipa Dan said is KNOW YOUR BUDDY and also BE A GREAT BUDDY someone’s husband, wife, father, mother, son, daughter, aunt or uncle is at stake. When you say you are going to be a buddy know that is the most important thing you are doing at that time.

T- thanks for posting. Excellent closing point. Let me know if you need anything, I am more than happy to help. Thanks for placing your trust in me. :)

T

Thank you for your post.

It's hard to look at it this way right now, but W was doing something he loved in a place he loved.

Again, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom