Diver Missing in the Puget Sound - Deception Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to correct; she was diving at Rosario Beach which is well out of the worse of the currents, in fact is a training area for new divers. while its in Deception Pass St park, it is not in deception Pass, but around the corner to the north.

Jack

The woman who disappeared while diving near Deception Pass has been identified as a Walla Walla University student.

A spokeswoman for the Seventh Day Adventist university at College Place, Rosa Jimenez, says Shari Booth was taking a scuba class at the university's Rosario Marine Laboratory.

The 19-year-old freshman from Brush Prairie, Clark County, was reported missing Monday and was not found in a search involving helicopters from the Coast Guard, Whidbey Island Naval Air Station, and searchers and divers with the Skagit County sheriff's office and volunteers and boaters.

Walla Walla University contracts with a professional diving business to provide scuba classes. Classes are postponed pending an investigation.

The Coast Guard said late Monday night it was suspending the search pending further developments after air and surface rescue crews combed about 20 square miles over an eight-hour period.

An update: I was down at Rosario Beach this afternoon to see if I could help in any way. There were several boats and inflatables searching the bay and on the other side towards Deception Pass.
Helped launch a rescue/search inflatable off of the marine railway. Besides searching shoreline there and further N. N.W. around Biz Pt., etc. afterwards on my way home.
I asked the searchers if they were aware of reports of old nets at depth reported in the past on N.W. Island and Sares Head (around the corner from Rosario) and wondered if they'd considered them in their search. They said that they were aware of them... The search dogs have reportedly (according to KIRO/Seattle news) found a scent in the water that will be checked out tonight or tomorrow. It was getting pretty breezy with some small surf...
Still hoping for a surprise happy ending but unfortunately it doesn't look likely by now...
My heart goes out to the family and everyone at the site. Several of the local LDSes assisted yesterday. I wish there was more I could do to help but everyone is naturally feeling that way.

It seems that Shari and her buddy were coming up after a dive to 60ft and holding at 15ft together. When Shari and her buddy were ready to surface, Shari was never surfaced. She told her mother the night before that she was apprehensive about the dive.

(Information from mother through close mutual friends)

It seems that Shari and her buddy were coming up after a dive to 60ft and holding at 15ft together. When Shari and her buddy were ready to surface, Shari was never surfaced. She told her mother the night before that she was apprehensive about the dive.

(Information from mother through close mutual friends)

According to this news story, they were at 120 feet ...

Search for Brush Prairie diver suspended- Columbian.com, Clark County, Washington, Vancouver, Breaking News, U.S., World, Entertainment, Video, Weather, Sports

Of course, one has to take news stories with a grain of salt sometimes ... especially when they're reporting diving accidents.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Does anyone know if these marine biology classes/dives are taught by Walla Walla faculty or if the dives are sub-contracted out to a shop or instructor(s)?
I looked on the Walla Walla website which talked about the "Rosario Experience" but nothing specific about who leads the dives.

Does anyone know if these marine biology classes/dives are taught by Walla Walla faculty or if the dives are sub-contracted out to a shop or instructor(s)?
I looked on the Walla Walla website which talked about the "Rosario Experience" but nothing specific about who leads the dives.

Thalassamania quoted a story that said they contracted out the diving classes.

If this was a basic open water class, and the media reports are true, 120 feet is too deep, 60 should have been the limit. Of course, it could be a reporting error.

Jeff

They contract out to a shop in Tri-cities. When I did my OW with them they were great. Gene was a great instructor with a TON of experience. He has been doing the classes there for 15-20 years with no problems. The class they were doing was advance ow. They do five dives, deep, boat, nav, night and one other. The marine biology classes are completely separate and different.

Last edited:
Thanks synthesia 96. I was just curious, not looking to assign blame or anything, as I live very near Rosario and the Walla Walla outstation and wondered if they contracted locally. I wanted to know if any of my LDS owner friends might have been teaching
and was concerned about giving them some support if that was the case during such an emotionally trying time, without having to ask them directly if possible.
Hope we can determine what happened eventually. I'm still doing visual scans of the shorelines around here and asking pedestrians at the park to keep an eye out for gear on the beach, etc. just in case, as I would hope others would be doing for me or you...

I appreciate the response to my question.

Back
Top Bottom