Diver Missing in the Puget Sound - Deception Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The things that I'd like to find out are:
1. What is (was) the arrangement between WWU and the LDS for the courses.
2. Whilst classes are postponed pending an investigation, who is conducting the investigation and what are they investigating, the accident itself, the training relationship, or both?

When I took the class at WWU five years ago Gene was the instructor. He used to be on the PE faculty but several years ago opened a shop in the Tri-cities and taught as a contract teacher. He usually taught the classes with two to three additional instructors. It usually worked out to one instructor for every two to four students.

I don't know who is doing the investigation, I would imagine the coast guard would be looking at only the accident.

Gene was an excellent instructor (NAUI Instructor Trainer) with years of experience. It was a very pressure free class. Because the classes where offered each quarter if you weren't able to dive one quarter you could do the dives the next or with any of the other groups he took for a check out dive.

I agree. The currents at Deception Pass can be ruthless.

Just for clarification:
Just to correct; she was diving at Rosario Beach which is well out of the worse of the currents, in fact is a training area for new divers. while its in Deception Pass St park, it is not in deception Pass, but around the corner to the north.

Jack

My Dad in Vancouver WA mentioned this article that was recently printed. But no additional information on her status.

Final Salute: As though every day was her last- Columbian.com, Clark County, Washington, Vancouver, Breaking News, U.S., World, Entertainment, Video, Weather, Sports

Also, the paper did print a correction on the diving depth. It was 65 feet, not 120 feet.

Correction- Columbian.com, Clark County, Washington, Vancouver, Breaking News, U.S., World, Entertainment, Video, Weather, Sports

Back
Top Bottom