Diver missing in Gozo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maltaman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was diving myself here last Monday morning - a great dive through the Blue Hole and out to the Azure window, and was surprised to read this report in the papers yesterday.

"Foreign diver missing in Dwejra
Two foreigners diving near Dwejra found themselves in difficulty due to the rough seas. While one of them managed to make it to shore, the other is missing, the Armed Forces of Malta said.

The missing diver is Greek.

The two divers had entered the water from the inland sea to swim through the narrow tunnel to reach the open waters.

The army said they received a message at about 5.15 p.m. informing them of the mishap. A search and rescue mission was mounted and a helicopter and a launch were deployed.

Attempts to search the area by divers was put off because of the rough seas.

"The northwesterly winds that gush through the tunnel put at great risk anyone who attempts to go through," an AFM spokesman said.

Peter Cordina, director of the Civil Protection Department, said his personnel at the heliport in Xewkija were alerted about the incident and were soon on the spot. They in turn raised the alarm with the AFM.

The search for the missing diver is expected to continue today."

I haven't spotted anything else in todays papers so I don't know what happened exactly or whether the guy was found.

Will post any new developments.

Forgot to mention that the above report appeared in the Times of Malta of 21st July.

I don´t know how rough the seas were but I´ve seen the entire "tunnel" at inland sea "filled" with water as waves crest against the outside opening...I would gess that comming in thru the shallows of the inland sea tunnel it would be easy to get banged, scraped and hurt on the rocks as the waves rush through during the safetystop...of course if it was calm enough to dive blue hole then the weather shouldn´t be the problem...

A clarification - Diver went missing on Wednesday... I was at Blue Hole on MOnday.. a lot could have changed in that time.

Back
Top Bottom