Diver killed by propeller in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by World Wide Diva
I never listen to the DMs during the briefing - too BOOOOOORING. I've got too much money coming out of my ears that I can't hear him what he's saying.

Obviously it's up to the DM to baby sit me when I'm in the water. What am I paying him for?

Rich divers have the money to do whatever they want. But why would I want to spend P400 ($8) on a safety balloon? The DM should have one.

It's NOT up to the dive shop to provide them with any safety equipment - if the DM didn't have the safety equipment already then they shouldn't have hired him in the first place.
shakehead.gif

I think it's great that you're comparing the Philippines to the US and Europe. I don't know why can't this country can't be more like them.

Posted by a fool with a big chip on their shoulder. I wish the Mod can ban stupid idiots like this.

The post is about diver safety - important for us all.

If there is plenty of boat traffic anywhere where diving takes place, then divers need to take precautions on surfacing.

SMB's are the best for this.

However, how many divers here have seen jetski users using SMB as turning points? How many divers have seen 8yr old child (girl) killed by this?

Point is, people can take the p*ss and make a joke by my/our safety, but safety here is often dictated by a lack of understanding/enforcement of safety rules in dive areas.

All I say is that regard for life is cheaper here in PI's than in the US, Canada and majority of Europe. Why? - because scuba diving is better regulated in these places and that here, there is an attitude that 'god' will protect you from harm + que sera sera. For sure, this is not Europe or North America with same attitudes, and divers should realise this.

So, people like Philippines because of its 'deregulated'and 'raw' diving. Me too, and most Filipino's on this forum are experience divers.

But, to actively bring inexperienced divers here (as many tourism companies do) and promise them great diving without them having 'good experience' is recipe for disaster. Many dive tourist honestly think that they are 'liberated' in the PI's and can do whatever they like here.

I'm for a sensible medium between 'East meets West' and I do not blame inexperience divers in 'kangaroo' inguests for dying in incidents like this just because 'we should accept the this is the Philippines' and 'life is cheap'.

C'mon people - there are established procedures that divers are tought (or should be) by experienced 'teachers' whatever their agency,

And still, people are killed in our sport because they do not follow the basics (or are not taught properly), or surface users simply are ignorant that divers are 'down below'.

Rules, regulations, procedures are already laid out by multitudes of dive agencies and statutes in laws across the Globe.

Whether or not we abide by them is up to us.

If people deliberately come to the Philippine Islands to avoid diving within these norms to feel that they are 'liberated' - and the culture supports this, then who are we to criticise several deaths every year due to this?

Some stupid comments on this thread seem to infer that there is a market here in the Philippines for divers with a death wish (minority).

IMO, this is a disgrace.

Some stupid comments on this thread seem to infer that .....
Does the word "infer" mean something different in America? I've seen the word used this way several times recently. According to my dictionary the correct word to use here is "imply". "Infer" is what I might do when I read the "stupid comments".

Posted by a fool with a big chip on their shoulder. I wish the Mod can ban stupid idiots like this.

Er, that fool is agreeing with your idiotic post. The only one with a chip on their shoulder is you with your many statements with diving in the south vs. north, rich vs poor divers, etc. and the diving in the Philippines in general. Please, let's start with banning you.

The post is about diver safety - important for us all.
Um no. Your previous post was completely different and was trying to pin the blame on "rich divers" vs the "poor DMs".

Nice try back tracking though.

However, how many divers here have seen jetski users using SMB as turning points? How many divers have seen 8yr old child (girl) killed by this?
In the Philippines???? I read about a whole lot of diving accidents in the PI, but hardly any concerning boat traffic. Why make straw arguments?

All I say is that regard for life is cheaper here in PI's than in the US, Canada and majority of Europe. Why? - because scuba diving is better regulated in these places and that here, there is an attitude that 'god' will protect you from harm + que sera sera.
Um no. A forum member from Florida was recently mowed down by a cruiser in Florida that left him with both legs amputated. Boating vs. diving accidents happen all over the world. That "god will protect you" attitude is found all over the world. Why focus on the Philippines? (let's go back to that chip on your shoulder)

Go outside this subforum and read the other subforums to see how many divers complain about boaters (from all over the world).

For sure, this is not Europe or North America with same attitudes, and divers should realise this.
And funny how I read a lot about divers visiting the PI being involved in these accidents.

But, to actively bring inexperienced divers here (as many tourism companies do) and promise them great diving without them having 'good experience' is recipe for disaster. Many dive tourist honestly think that they are 'liberated' in the PI's and can do whatever they like here.
Let's just say inexperienced divers IN GENERAL.

A dive tourist with that attitude was unsafe even before they stepped into the Philippines.

I'm for a sensible medium between 'East meets West' and I do not blame inexperience divers in 'kangaroo' inguests for dying in incidents like this just because 'we should accept the this is the Philippines' and 'life is cheap'.

C'mon people - there are established procedures that divers are tought (or should be) by experienced 'teachers' whatever their agency,

And still, people are killed in our sport because they do not follow the basics (or are not taught properly), or surface users simply are ignorant that divers are 'down below'.

Rules, regulations, procedures are already laid out by multitudes of dive agencies and statutes in laws across the Globe.

Whether or not we abide by them is up to us.
And still there are problems all over the world involving boating accidents. But you read about one in the Philippines and it's because the lack of regulation and the mentality!? :shakehead: Usually the investigation takes place before warranting such a response (ie You don't know enough about this event to comment).

If people deliberately come to the Philippine Islands to avoid diving within these norms to feel that they are 'liberated' - and the culture supports this, then who are we to criticise several deaths every year due to this?
A culture that thinks [-]divers[/-] people should have greater accountability for their own actions? Your arguments are full of idiotic assumptions.

Funny you think there's a culture in the PI that tries to lure divers going there just so they can feel "liberated". The culture here is you dive with a DM. Those that don't are considered unsafe or very experienced. Yet in other parts of the world there is NO guide or divemaster provided (cost extra) and you are left with just your buddy. Maybe you think the DM is used as a safety crutch?

IMO, this is a disgrace.
Let's summarize your points:
* Tourist operators who prey on inexperienced divers are unsafe.
* Divers who don't follow the basic rules they were taught when certified are unsafe.
* Divers who come to the PI just so they don't have to be safe are unsafe.

I guess that's a disgrace. The rest of your commentary is unnecessary.

Who is WORLD WIDE DIVA anyway?

Hey! How about those LAKERS?!?!?!

Amen to this brother!!!!:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Oops! Wait a minute...:confused: I just realised you weren't talking about yourself! :mooner: I take that back... Sorry, my bad....:cool2:

I wish the Mod can ban stupid idiots like this.

How about those Cubs? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom