Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bubba105:
OK, I thought I remembered it this way. The Thomas family spoke to Gabe on a speaker phone. This is the first conversation after Tina's death. All three can corroborate what was said in the conversation. This is your baby & you obviously type with more than the one finger I use so I give you this to post. Nice job putting this mush-mosh into order. Hope this comes to you OK, I'm not too computer savvy.

MSNBC Story Page 2, near the bottom
Finally with the intervention of the American consulate in Australia, the Thomas family reached the person they needed to hear the story from most, Tina’s new husband, Gabe. It was then nearly a full day since Tina had drowned. Father, mother and sister were all on the phone line together.
Tommy Thomas: Cindy started the conversation. And she asked him several times if he was doing OK. If he was all right.

Sinister twist to death on the reef | The Australian (9th paragraph from the bottom)
We were saying: 'Are you OK?"' she recalls. "He told us in that conversation that she was looking at him and she winked at him, and he had to make a split second decision to either go to the top for help or look after her. He was with her at 40 feet (12m) but he said he left her to go for help because she was descending. I said to him then, 'That's OK, she knew you were going for help'."

Thanks for the e-mail bubba105 - you are absolutely correct. There is more than one witness on this issue. Good work! It just reminds me that you have to continuously go back to your original sources and not rely on memory.

for the life of me i try to see innocence in this man over this - i could have just been a horrible horrible accident but i just cannot understand the anger someone would feel to remove flowers from a grave that a parent has put there for their child. i wonder if its because he feels so persecuted by the family that he feels "she was MY wife" and no longer yours to be behaving like this

innocent or not - cutting those flowers away is a very low act

You're gonna look pretty stupid when the guy in your picture becomes our next president.

stupid and president in the same sentence. no shock

Thanks for Issue #32, K_girl. For me, this testimony is the most critical: it completely contradicts what Gabe Watson said happened. I had read of the "bear hug" description, but not that the couple was HORIZONTAL when it happened. (In all the other descriptions, it sounded like they were in an upright position.) Very strange.

Thanks again,
Trish

Can someone give a short account of what the husband says happened? I'm sure the info is in these threads somewhere, but it's too higgledy-piggledy. What I've gathered so far is that: They went for a dive on the Yongala, but aborted it because he had a problem with his computer. He fixed it, and they went in again. The current was stronger than they expected. Then, what? Something happened, what happened? His wife started sinking to the bottom. He failed to arrest her descent. He went to the surface to get help. Meanwhile, someone else brought her to the surface, but it was too late to save her. But what happened in the middle there, according to him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom