Diver drowns on Dive Boat Karen, Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rbolander:
Excellent work detective, unfortunately you neglected to account for the fact that the stats section has been broken for months on end and was only recently fixed about two weeks ago - None of my dive stats have been updated since I registered here. I can confidently tell you I'm no longer wading in the kiddie pool.
Yeah, I forgot to allow for that. It's only been available for update for a few days. So you're experienced diver with over 25 logged, got it. How many on wrecks in current and strong waves?

I've not dived the NE. I have dived some wrecks in the St.Lawrence, off North Carolina in the stream, and off of the Florida keys in the stream, and I think the crew did a bang up job. But that's my opinion.

thanks

rbolander:
18? Yes. :eyebrow: Are you sugessting I'm wading in youthful ignorance? Perhaps you should say what you mean.

I do not agree with your implied analysis that I require any FURTHER experience diving (apart from the experience that you know nothing of) to be able to tell you that it sounds like something on that boat was not right if all they chose to do initially was watch bubbles until the guy was 150 feet away from the boat (under tidal current, right?), when they were already under the assumption that he could have possibly been low on air. I am certainly in no opposition to the fact that watching the bubbles was the right thing to do - But I DO NOT agree that because they did mostly everything, that the captain, crew and dive operation is absolved from responsibility on some level, or that the thread should be simply left "at that".

I'm questioning the accident because I think the family has a right to see that not everyone agrees with the initial analysis. Perhaps a change in dive operator policy should be suggested, perhaps not.

I'm sorry that a *few* of you feel the need to disqualify my comments based on incorrect information regarding my experience and qualifications. Please take the issue up with a moderator if you are so exceedingly concerned with my thoughts on this incident.

I won't mince words. Young, rude and arrogant are not a great combination for one so new to the game. Personally, I'd stand down before you get spanked big time. However, your tone suggests a certain level of braggadocio, so I'm pretty sure you'll engage in a session of head butting with the knowledgeable folks of the Scubaboard.

You have no idea what goes on here with regards to NE diving, nor existing conditions that day. In fact, it gets very snotty out here at a moments notice: http://www.nydailynews.com/10-09-2006/news/local/story/459838p-386891c.html.

I've seen experienced divers (from other parts of the world) eat it big time around here. Step off the soap stand and try taking your first rescue class...hopefully not from the same individual who certified you.

X

OK guys......

I think for this thread it's enough. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom