Diver Down Panama City / Mexico Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so no one gets the wrong idea:

It's my understanding that DM's ARE NOT required on dive trips. I expect them only because I am used to them. You will find DM's on the majority of charters in our area because of the conditions. In other areas, it's probably more common to find dive boats without DM's, and sometimes even deck hands. I don't want to give anyone the impression that an op that does not use DMs is in any way lacking. In fact, my favorite charter in Ft. Lauderdale is a one-man operation, and I've always felt well taken care of.

I also don't know if a DM was present in this incident, and really don't see how it would have mattered. If the diver was found unresponsive at depth by another diver, there's not a lot that can be done other than cpr anyway.

OK, here goes....I hope it makes sense. Remember that time is hard to account for in this type of situation. I think I did a pretty good job of it though.

Saturday, October 23.
It was a beautiful, cool, clear morning when we walked across Hwy 98 and loaded onto the dive boat that belongs to Daly’s Dock and Dive Center (photo of the boat is shown in an earlier post). Everyone (1 captain, 1 DM and 5 divers) seemed to be in good spirit as we pulled out of the marina and headed to the Sherman Tug (bottom at 80ft, top at ~ 60ft - roughly). There seemed to be no concern on anyone’s faces or in their voices as we shared stories of sea sickness moving across the bay in 2 to 3 ft chop (except maybe in my head). This is where I first remember saying something to Paula. She was wearing the scopolamine patch behind one of her ears and this was the first time in probably 5 years that I had forgotten to put one behind my ear. Anyways, with respect to her, there seemed to be no concern or anxiety or fear heading out to the dive. The ride took approximately 1 hour.

Once on site, the dive master told me and my dive buddy to gear up, that we would go over first since the other divers were all new. And we did. On the way down I had my typical slow descent due to equalization issues that I have. The other divers passed me on their way down. I say this only to show that there were no signs of ill concern with anyone. The anchor line was about 40’ off the bow of the wreck.

Myself and my dive buddy explored the wreck from front to rear, and at about halfway through the dive (44 minutes total dive time for us) I remember going over the mid-section (from starboard to port) of the wreck and seeing the other group of divers doing something (I assume OW skills, but was too busy trying to get up close to a goliath grouper to pay them much attention). Again, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and I would say they were in the 60’ – 70’ depth. Visibility was probably 40’-50’.

At about a 1000psi my dive buddy and I decide it is time to head towards the anchor line (we were at the aft of the wreck). We leisurely make our way towards the bow, ascending as we approach the anchor line. We reach the anchor line with about 700 psi at a depth of about 35’-40’. As we are making our way up I notice some color near the ocean floor away from the anchor line farther away from the bow of the wreck, but I can’t quite make out what it is. I tap my dive buddy who is just above me and point it out to him. We check our dive computers and mine says 500-something psi and his was lower than mine. Either way it was at this moment that I see the divemaster making his way towards us from the surface with a purpose, and at that same split second that my dive buddy and I realize what we saw. The total time from when I saw the color to seeing the DM could not have been more than a few seconds. The DM was on her like I don’t know what. He dropped her gear and had her back to the surface in seconds. My dive buddy and I moved up to the safety stop range, but my computer was flashing like crazy with 386psi so we went ahead and surfaced because we knew we needed to get on that boat so that it could get moving.

When we got on board (my dive buddy first, then me), we moved towards the front to assist however we could. The DM was already doing cpr, the captain was talking to the CG and one of the other divers was calling 911. The DM was the only person trained in life saving techniques. My dive buddy assisted the DM as best he could. I helped out where I could (most of that was trying to reassure the other female diver on the boat, relaying questions from the diver using the phone and the captain using the radio to the DM, and searching Paula’s gear for name/personal info). The boat ride from the Sherman Tug to the Mexico Beach Pier (~15 miles) took about 49 minutes (surface interval on my dive comp). When Paula was brought on board she had a faint pulse which was lost fairly quickly (within a couple minutes). There was no emergency equipment on board (O2 or AED).

Now for the part that I was not eyewitness to: According to her dive buddy, the dive went well. When they were making their ascent on the anchor line, she got hung up on it and started to panic. He got her loose and she started to thrash about, even attempting to remove her gear. She shot to the surface where the captain saw her away from the anchor line for a split second. Her dive buddy alerted the DM who was just a few feet above them on the anchor line, and he surfaced to have the captain tell him there was a diver in distress. The DM immediately changed out his tank and hit the water, where within a short distance he saw us, then moved on to find her.

I do not know how long she had been a certified diver.

What I learned from this:
• Dive with a buddy you know and are comfortable with.
o She was by herself and paired up with someone she did not know. Maybe if she was with someone she knew, it might have been calming to her in her moment of panic.
• I will do my best to make sure the boats I dive on from here forward have O2 and an AED. While there is no proof that this could have saved her life, I feel like it certainly could have helped.

Without the cause of death being official yet, I would guess it was due to drowning, and that due to panic.

I do hope that this helps someone else out there. Pay attention to your buddy, and be prepared to take control of them IF you can without putting yourself in harms way.

Rest in Peace, Paula!

For those with questions, I will be away from the computer for the next few hours. I will do my best to answer them when/if I can.

Thanks for your patience.....

Thank you for posting this. I know this is not easy. I'm so sorry this happened.

It sounds like the DM moved quickly and did everything he could. It is awful there wasn't O2 on the boat. :(

Thank you for posting this. I know this is not easy. I'm so sorry this happened.

It sounds like the DM moved quickly and did everything he could. It is awful there wasn't O2 on the boat. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a standard DAN O2 kit lacks a ventilator bag, making it useless once the patient stops breathing. Additionally, AEDs only shock in very narrow circumstances, so I don't know if it would have been useful either. Maybe one of our MD's can chime in and let us know what type of rhythms you can expect just after a rapid ascent.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Oxygen is most useful in managing DCS symptoms in a patient that is breathing on his own.

Here is something that catches my attention, the part of where she most likely panicked. Its very sad that someone lost their life here so maybe someone else can learn from it. As a cave diver we are trained on very rigid gas management system. I cross it over when diving OW, because you never know when something will go wrong such as being tangled up. Always remember as long as you have gas, you are ok, stay calm am work out your problem or signal for assistance. Staying calm can and will save your life, it did mine 800ft from air. My thoughts and prayers to the friends, family and Paula.

Here is something that catches my attention, the part of where she most likely panicked. Its very sad that someone lost their life here so maybe someone else can learn from it. As a cave diver we are trained on very rigid gas management system. I cross it over when diving OW, because you never know when something will go wrong such as being tangled up. Always remember as long as you have gas, you are ok, stay calm am work out your problem or signal for assistance. Staying calm can and will save your life, it did mine 800ft from air. My thoughts and prayers to the friends, family and Paula.

I wondered about that too Kevin. It sounds like she was free when she bolted (which is certainly plausible). I wonder how much gas she had at that point, and whether she panicked because of the entanglement, or because she was low on gas AND became entangled.....

I wondered about that too Kevin. It sounds like she was free when she bolted (which is certainly plausible). I wonder how much gas she had at that point, and whether she panicked because of the entanglement, or because she was low on gas AND became entangled.....

Yeah that has been bugging me since he posted it. Its just very sad to think she still had gas and a few minutes of calm thinking could have changed the outcome. I have seen a few people panic tho, there is no changing that mind set.

FSUgly, thank you for posting. That certainly answers a lot of questions and gives other divers some real issues to work on solving or overcoming that could save their life. Panic is never your friend and it can make you want to do crazy things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a standard DAN O2 kit lacks a ventilator bag, making it useless once the patient stops breathing. Additionally, AEDs only shock in very narrow circumstances, so I don't know if it would have been useful either. Maybe one of our MD's can chime in and let us know what type of rhythms you can expect just after a rapid ascent.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Oxygen is most useful in managing DCS symptoms in a patient that is breathing on his own.

First let me share that I am not a physician but may be able to shed some light on these statements/questions as I have been a first responder for more than 35 years and have provided aid in diving accidents.

The standard O2 kit does not include a "ventilator bag" as this should never be used by a lay person or person trained only in basic first aid and CPR. However, anyone trained in First aid/CPR by Emergency First Response, Medic First Aid, or the other agencies affiliated with dive training orgs is taught to always have a pocket mask with an O2 inlet at the ready. This will allow a tube from the O2 bottle to be connected to the mask on constant flow and a much higher concentration of oxygen to enter the patient with each rescue breath. This provides a better chance of getting much needed O2 to the brain if breaths and compressions are effective.

Even though O2 may be highly effective in treatment of DCS it is also extremely effective first aid in almost all circumstances where breathing is impaired and the brain is deprived of oxygen. Though this diver may have suffered an AGE due to a rapid ascent after panic it is also possible that she was low on air and may have taken in water, may have drowned. Regardless, in either of these cases and most other related possibilities O2 would be a highly recommended course of first aid.

Regarding AED's, they are not the miracle device that news success stories would have us all believe but two of the situations in which the use of an AED has proven to render positive results are in sudden cardiac events and in near drownings. Since either of these was a possible cause or result of the accident it would have been prudent to attempt use of an AED if it were available and responders were trained to use it. Just as oxygen is recommended in almost all cicumstances when breathing is impaired, the use of an AED is almost always recommended, if available, if the patient does not have a pulse.

All of that having been said, though it is clear the boat could have (and many would say should have) had additional equipment available, it sounds as though once the problem was identified the dive boat captain and the dive leader used what resources were available to provide basic life support. Unfortunately it cannot be known if any additional safety or first aid equipment would have resulted in any different outcome.

I would say that reading about this incident has only reinforced my belief that every diver needs to constantly assess for every dive their own preparedness to dive in regards to all of these: mental, emotional, physical preparedness as well as their own training, experience, equipment, and buddy considerations. On every dive, you don't need to dwell on the negative, but like a boyscout you need to be prepared and that means anticipating potential problems and having a plan, the equipment, the training, the experience, and an equally prepared buddy to handle potential problems.

Off my soapbox now...

Well, I still like a O2 kit on board. I should request to check them, as the one time I request one for a diver it failed, but - I'm already loaded with my personal routine of checking for CO on 2 tanks before each dive, rigging my pony, etc. AEDs are too much for me to hope for while I'm still looking mostly in vain for Ops with $1,000 CO monitors on their compressors.

The CPR mask I carry in my dive bag has an O2 inlet valve. Never used it, but always have it handy. I carried a pocket barrier on land for a while, but non-drowning CPR standards changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom