Diver Down Panama City / Mexico Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what the rules are...but I would like to learn anything I can from this incident.

I also want to say I'm sorry that you were witness to such a terrible thing.

I don't know what the rules are...but I would like to learn anything I can from this incident.
There are special rules at the top of this forum, but learning to avoid similar losses is the aim here.

In one loss thread after another I wonder where the buddy was. So very seldom do losses happen with a buddy in close attendance.
I also want to say I'm sorry that you were witness to such a terrible thing.
Which brings me to another point: Since FSUgly was there, this has to be hard on him too even if he was not involved with the rescue attempt - and talking about it does help. I do hope you feel comfortable talking about it here now that we are past that confusion?

If not, then do find someone to talk to, a counselor, pastor, or trusted friend.

I don't know what the rules are..

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,

Which brings me to another point: Since FSUgly was there, this has to be hard on him too even if he was not involved with the rescue attempt - and talking about it does help. I do hope you feel comfortable talking about it here now that we are past that confusion?

If not, then do find someone to talk to, a counselor, pastor, or trusted friend.

I completely agree with you. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to be there. And I agree that speaking about it is healthy, and somehow helps clairfy things and clears your mind.

I completely agree with you. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to be there. And I agree that speaking about it is healthy, and somehow helps clairfy things and clears your mind.
It's actually covered somewhat in the Padi Rescue course. I've discussed a lost diver friend here in this forum with warm support. There was confusion on this thread that might have left FSUgly uncomfortable in discussing here, but I hope he'll consider the invitational and/or talking with others.

I've seen several leave in ambulances, but they and I were lucky - all survived.

Should comment on this wait until after the investigation is complete?

If your able to talk about it emotionally then its ok to do so, the name was already released. From what have learned over the last few months there are some things that cant be dscussed on certain events, but in your case I think sharng anything that might help someone learn and avoid the same fate is ok. You were there so first hand information is needed for this discussion.

My knowledge of the incident stems only from the one-way conversation that we could hear over the VHF between the coast guard and the said vessel. We could not hear the responses from the boat that the unresponsive diver was brought to only the questions and comments from the Coast Guard. I must say however that I had a lot of concerns from what I heard.

1) The Coast Guard asked several times what the unresponsive divers name was and it seems they either didn't know or could not find it. The coast gurad even prompted them to look through her personal items to see what could be found. This would make me think it was a dive charter?

2) When asked by the coast Guard if this was a dive charter the answer seemed to be No, as the questions from the CG then turned to Personal boat ownership, but later after more poking by the CG it seemed they provided a cororation name of a shop or something.... Seemed odd. Again, I could not hear the answers so I can only tell what I heard the CG ask.

3) During life saving efforts the CG asked if there were medically trained personel on board and the next questions from the CG made me believe the answer was no although it seemed some effort was being made toward FA and CPR. A DM would be a rescue diver with FA/CPR, they are not trained medical personel?

That's most of what I could think of off the top of my head.

For those reading that do not understand the CG and VHF, the CG sector is in Mobile, AL. The incident happened East of Panama City so the range of the boats VHF (LOS +/-) was not such that we could hear it in Pensacola via VHF but the CG has radio towers that allow that. So we only heard one side of the convrsation.

On our boat as we were preparing to dive our thoughts were that there was something fishy about the story being given to the coast guard in regards to the status of the boat as a charter or private vessel, and it seemed to me that the CG was feeling the same thing as they basically asked are you sure this is not a vessel for hire?

Was there no rescue trained personnel.... A DM or rescue diver?

Others originally posted from the P'Cola area said they heard the CG as well, did you get the same feeling of WTF?

Others originally posted from the P'Cola area said they heard the CG as well, did you get the same feeling of WTF?

That had to have been aggravating to listen too!!

If this was a legitimate charter it's one thing but if it was an unlicensed private boat charging folks to go diving it would be very prudent to maintain a tight lip.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom