Diver dies off Rockport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GradyDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I actually heard part of the harbormaster speaking to Daybreaker (though I didn't know it was Daybreaker at the time) over the VHF while heading out to Graves Island yesterday. It didn't sound good at the time and it obviously didn't get better.

I feel bad for the diver and his family, but I also feel bad for Fran and (I'm assuming) Matt, they have a great operation and always take care of their customers.

Here is the article:

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_231124723.html?keyword=topstory

I feel bad for the diver and his family, but I also feel bad for Fran and (I'm assuming) Matt, they have a great operation and always take care of their customers.

I second that.

The article even specifically mentions that the harbormaster commended the crew for how quickly they responded. Having been out with Fran I am sure that isn't an exaggeration. He really knows what he is doing.

The article wasn't clear, but it left me with the impression that the decedant was not a daybreaker passenger, but rather someone diving at the same site that Fran and crew pulled a good samaritan rescue on. Did I mis read?

The article wasn't clear, but it left me with the impression that the decedant was not a daybreaker passenger, but rather someone diving at the same site that Fran and crew pulled a good samaritan rescue on. Did I mis read?

You're right, it is definitely ambiguously worded, I think you could interpret it either way.

The unidentified man — who was not believed to be from Cape Ann — was found on the surface of the water, unconscious and not breathing, while diving off a charter boat yesterday morning. He was about three miles off the coast of Rockport, at a spot near Dry Salvages.

It may not have been Fran's boat, but the diver was on a charter at the Dry Salvages. It probably wasn't Cape Ann Divers either, their schedule has them at Paddock Rock, Chester Poling, and captain's choice (which could be the Salvages, but that's a long haul) that morning.

You're right, it is definitely ambiguously worded, I think you could interpret it either way.

I read that as Fran and his son were in the area and jumped in to help when they noticed the diver in trouble. Man, this has been a tough summer in that area. I feel horrible for the diver's family, and for Fran's. They run an amazing operation and I can only imagine what that does to a person.

wow - i had no idea that there were so many passings off of Cape Ann this summer. My condolances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom