Diver Dies in Lake Huron on the Dunderberg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, you have to admit I wasn't the one that brought cave training into this....:wink:

Oh you're right. Silly me, we never discussed anything about general techniques for rescue, or decompression in general in cave class. How mistaken of me.

And we never discussed mine or wreck or cave diving where there's an open water ascent/descent portion.

Nope. No never.

And no, I dont necessarily believe that I am more likely to take a severe hit with a rapid ascent on helium.

And no, I dont necessarily believe that I am more likely to take a severe hit with a rapid ascent on helium.

really??? can you explain why not?

Hes isn't alone Nick. I can't take issue with anything cerich had to say on the subject. Honestly, I can't understand what isn't clear to you.

One thing is clear, you simply don't agree that sending an unresponsive diver to the surface solo would be the correct thing to do under any circumstance. Do what you have to do if, God forbid, you're ever faced with the situation.

Um, that might be what YOU do, not me, and not a LOT of other cave divers.

if you are more than a couple mins away from the exit there is no reason to drag a unconscious not breathing diver out with you. It simply isn't a good/safe idea for a traumatized team to even contemplate doing so.

Once it is clear there is no hope of getting that diver to the surface in less than 5-8 mins then there is NO reason to subject the team to the additional risk of attempting to recover the body at this point. Tie him off to the main line and make a safe exit.

It isn't heartless, it is compassion for the remaining team members.

Better to have one death than many.

Hes isn't alone Nick. I can't take issue with anything cerich had to say on the subject. Honestly, I can't understand what isn't clear to you.

One thing is clear, you simply don't agree that sending an unresponsive diver to the surface solo would be the correct thing to do under any circumstance. Do what you have to do if, God forbid, you're ever faced with the situation.

I never said he was alone. I am not saying I couldnt be convinced to act a different way in some circumstances, but essentially saying "I am right because i say I am right" doesn't cut it enough.

Nick, it seems to me that he's laying out very clear reasoning as to why he's making those choices. That's why I can't understand why you have difficulty what what cerich is saying.

because although it goes into and out of solution more quickly, it is far less soluble than nitrogen so you have less of it.

you're wrong.Very much so. Fast assents with Helium are MUCH worse.

I never said he was alone. I am not saying I couldnt be convinced to act a different way in some circumstances, but essentially saying "I am right because i say I am right" doesn't cut it enough.

then point out what is wrong with my argument, I am with yours.

Right is just that, right, and NOT because I'm saying it!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom