Diver dies at Molokai on Maui dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@whysocold its a terminology thing. "PADI Incident Report" is one thing, "report sent to PADI about an incident" is a whole 'nutha kettle of fish. @boulderjohn is correct in that PADI does not release their reports to the broad public as there are definite legal consequences. I also have no problem with deleting the uploads, as the confusion regarding terminology can get very ugly when lawyers start looking around for deep pockets (remember someone died in the US, you KNOW there are lawyers earning off this already). There was no additional info in those emails and the potential for people thinking that it was an official PADI response is too high.

I'm simply trying to share the information that I have access to. Not all of us are aware of the terminology.

While I think that there is value reading what was officially submitted to PADI, boulderjohn goes so far as to say in a private message that this was a "deliberate deception", so I'm staying out of this thread. I hope that something official surfaces soon.

boulderjohn:
You had to know when you made the post that you were NOT submitting an official PADI report as you claimed to be, so I consider what you posted to be a deliberate deception intended to continue the personal attacks upon the dive operator. From this point on, I will remember your attempt to deceive as I (and other staff members) make further decisions.

I have access to the PADI incident report. Would providing that be acceptable? It would show that what was in the official report was the same as what was reported on Trip Advisor.

I'm simply trying to share the information that I have access to. Not all of us are aware of the terminology.

While I think that there is value reading what was officially submitted to PADI, boulderjohn goes so far as to say in a private message that this was a "deliberate deception", so I'm staying out of this thread. I hope that something official surfaces soon.

You explicitly called it a "PADI Incident Report", which is not to be confused with "the reporting of an incident to PADI".

They sound similar and can easily be confused with one another, but are night and day. It's like referring to a 911 call as a "police report". It could be 100% legitimate, 100% bogus, or somewhere in between. Regardless, it's misleading, and thus doesn't add to discussion.

At this point we will learn little more.

The Lawyers have, most likely, swarmed all over this tragic incident.

PADI, if they follow their normal MO, will throw the op under the bus and settle out of court
with a no disclosure cause.

Hopefully some good will come from it all. A change in boat procedures, crew training, life support
equipment aboard.

I think the mods have been very good with this important thread.

Lessons learned is the real purpose of such a thread.

Always learn something. Up until 15 minutes ago I would have said that a couple years ago I had filled out a PADI incident report when my instructor in a specialty had to be rescued by others. Now I know that I filed, as required by PADI, a report on an incident I was part of. Confusion is natural to one who has not been involved in any incident investigations.

So it sounds like this woman's entire beef with the situation is that the victim was rolled on his side for a short while? What a weird thing to get all bent out of shape about and start making a fuss all over the internet. Sounds like she has an axe to grind.

One small question. If a boat is underway in 10 to 12 ft seas doesn't the captain, or a suitably licensed crew, have to remain at the helm?

As opposed to being underway in 8 to 10 ft seas?

As I recall it, my CPR class also included "if you see people doing first aid correctly, stay tf out of their way until they ask for help".

So it sounds like this woman's entire beef with the situation is that the victim was rolled on his side for a short while? What a weird thing to get all bent out of shape about and start making a fuss all over the internet. Sounds like she has an axe to grind.

Sounds like you did not read or understand the actual post and follow-on posts. Suggest you start there. I do not know any of the people involved in this dive tragedy, and have no dog in the fight, but I certainly think she was criticizing a lot more than just the fact that the victim was rolled on his side for a short while, and I did not get the impression she had an axe to grind.

Hey boulderjohn, what about the personal attacks on me and anyone who remotely believes the truth? Or is the scubaboard.com staff solely supporting the dive operator rather than the dead man? I've attempted more than 10 times to remove my own posts and scubaboard.com refuses to do so even though support staff told me in writing that as long as I click "report" they would be removed "no problem." Although I did not agree to my trip advisor review being shared in the first place here (I've since deleted it), and I did not agree to my PADI incident report being shared here, scubaboard.com is certainly antagonizing and encouraging these attacks. If this refusal to remove all requested items that include me or any reference to me continues, I will file a suit with my attorney against scubaboard.com.

I don't understand. Why do you want the posts removed? Wasn't the reason that you posted your complaint publicly on Trip Advisor that you wanted to warn people? Are you claiming a copyright violation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom