Diver dies at Molokai on Maui dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Mike, my intention was to warn other divers. I actually care when people die. And you're all attacking me for it and I'm the only one here who was on the boat. I can only assume many of you have allegiance to Lahaina Divers. Therefore, remove my account and all posts related to my account. I'm sure it will make Lahaina Divers very happy so it's a win-win for everyone but the dead diver.

Yes Mike, my intention was to warn other divers. I actually care when people die. And you're all attacking me for it and I'm the only one here who was on the boat. I can only assume many of you have allegiance to Lahaina Divers. Therefore, remove my account and all posts related to my account. I'm sure it will make Lahaina Divers very happy so it's a win-win for everyone but the dead diver.

I'm a medical mod, so I don't edit threads. As you know, others are moderating this one.

It's pretty typical for SCUBA board that people discuss accident analysis here in a spirited fashion. Certainly, even though I'm not sure I totally understand all of the concerns on your report, your post did help to bring up some interesting discussion (like issues associated with mixing tech and rec divers, ore the indications for using an AED).

I don't think you should see all of this as a personal attack, and sometimes what we learn from these discussions can help save someone's life in the future. As I said up thread, I'm sure that this was very stressful to witness for you. But just because someone disagrees with one of your conclusions, doesn't mean that it's a personal attack or that anyone is trying to discredit you individually. For example, I don't agree that dives involving staged decompression (i.e. technical dives) are subject to the same protocols for diver recall as are recreational dives. Mixed rec and tech, or just all tech divers, you still have the same risk of a medical emergency on the surface while people are doing deco.

You are the only one here who has given a firsthand report, and that's good material for discussion.

Unhappy,
Not everyone is attacking you. In fact, I have defended your right and responsibility to post in my comments in this thread, and I think it would be a mistake to remove your posts. You were on the boat and a prime witness to what happened. Just because someone criticizes your view does not alter the facts as you saw them. Without your inputs, we are left only with the viewpoint of the people that work for the dive op involved--and that is not necessarily a good thing.

As opposed to being underway in 8 to 10 ft seas?

As I recall it, my CPR class also included "if you see people doing first aid correctly, stay tf out of their way until they ask for help".

Posters had said this was a larger boat. Someone had complained that the captain was not down helping with the injured diver. My point was only that if the boat was under way in rough seas that the captain's first duty might not be to abandon the helm station.

I
Posters had said this was a larger boat. Someone had complained that the captain was not down helping with the injured diver. My point was only that if the boat was under way in rough seas that the captain's first duty might not be to abandon the helm station.
Lahaina Divers has 2 46' Newton dive boats. That's a lot of boat to control in 12' seas.

Mike, many of these posts have been personal attacks on me and that I'm either lying/disgruntled ex employee or don't remember because I was "over emotional." What part of these are not personal attacks? These people are not interested in learning from this event. These are the same sorts of angry messages I keep receiving privately and are highly likely from the crew. Your site is perpetuating the harassment and intimidation of me.

Altamira, yes you are one of the unbiased and it is okay for people to disagree with my view. But, I should at least have the choice to remove my view and to remove content that was shared without my consent.

Yes, I certainly understand your not wanting to be harassed and be on the receiving end of personal attacks, but your perspective added tremendously to my understanding of the entire situation. Without your input, many of us may not have heard of this tragedy and would not have understood what was done or not done on the boat. SB sometimes gets a bit rowdy, and some contributors can be a bit obtuse and argumentative, but we also learn a lot from everyones' inputs, whether of not we agree with them. Try not to let snarky comments bother you or people bully you. You know when you are right, and what others, who were not there, say or think is not important.

Back
Top Bottom