Diver dies at Molokai on Maui dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whysocold

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A friend of mine posted this to Trip Advisor. I can't find any news coverage on it. I haven't been able to reach her yet.

Lahaina Divers (HI): Top Tips Before You Go - TripAdvisor

I witnessed a diver die onboard Lahaina Divers’ Molokai "Hammerhead" charter on October 14, 2016.

First off, this is a dangerous dive site (think opposite of Molokini crater), especially being located so far away from land and from other boats/help. This was the only boat out there. If the crew fails to help during an emergency and there isn't the proper emergency equipment onboard, you're really in trouble.

Here is what I witnessed:

1.) A dive instructor placed an unresponsive, non-breathing diver with the brightest blue face I have ever seen in the recovery position (on his side) without an oxygen mask. This is in violation of basic CPR procedures.

2.) The oxygen tank should have been full, the crew should have known how to use it, the oxygen mask should have been on the divers face as soon as he became unresponsive, and the mask should have remained on his face the entire time instead of being removed by the crew.

3.) Customers managed the emergency, NOT the crew. The most qualified people onboard hid upstairs on the top deck away from the scene. The customers (along with the least qualified crew member onboard) performed CPR for over 2 hours while the hunt for the rebreathers occurred.

4.) There was no AED onboard.

5.) There was no emergency rebreather diver recall procedure in place. The recall consisted of the captain driving around looking for the rebreathers (who don't blow bubbles), and for a dive instructor to put gear back on, and jump off of the boat alone in 10-12 ft seas multiple times trying to hunt for the rebreathers. The rebreathers said they had a 34 minute decompression stop which prevented them from coming up immediately.

Between these multiple delays and the coast guard delay due to other island emergencies, the odds were stacked against the diver. At such a dangerous dive site, I believe all divers (rebreathers and recreational) should surface together in their groups and work as a team to get back on board safely. Since there is the potential for many divers to surface in multiple areas and drift far away from the boat quickly (and have multiple emergencies), there should have been more crew members onboard.

So, don't lie on your PADI medical statement; don’t trust ocean conditions you are nervous about, even if Lahaina Divers is willing to let you jump in; don’t let Lahaina Divers try to tell you that it isn’t a dangerous dive because no one can predict the ocean especially in the “crazy” Pailolo channel; don't risk your life or your friends/family members’ lives if you're not extremely physically/mentally fit to handle yourself and potentially others in rough seas and very strong currents. Believe me, as a diver who has done this dive over 20 times, no matter how many sharks you might see, it isn't worth it.

The dive op deals with mostly vacation divers, but a local frequently goes out with a rebreather to film hammerheads at the dive site. They seemed to be a well-run shop so I'm surprised to read this account.

Thanks for posting the incident. RIP for dead diver & condolences to his family. I hope more news coming out.

It's been 2 weeks and nothing out of the local news. I don't think that they are picking up the story. They probably don't want to scare off tourists.

Only one point -

"Here is what I witnessed:

1.) A dive instructor placed an unresponsive, non-breathing diver with the brightest blue face I have ever seen in the recovery position (on his side) without an oxygen mask. This is in violation of basic CPR procedures."

I have taken basic CPR procedures - it does not include administering O2.

I have been CPR certified for more than 10 years and I am currently certified but I am not Rescue Certified - is this how they teach it now? O2 is required and a violation if not administered? I am just curious...

I had to look up where this was. I assumed based on the events, it was someplace in the asian pacific... Wow.

It's been 2 weeks and nothing out of the local news. I don't think that they are picking up the story. They probably don't want to scare off tourists.

Either that or it never actually happened and the whole thing is somebody having "issues" with Lahaina Divers.

First of all, I agree with putting oxygen mask is of no use if the victim is unconscious & not breathing on his own. So, point 1 & 2 above are moot points.

Based on the above description & assuming it actually happened, it sounds like there are 2 groups of divers. Group 1 used open circuit (OC) gear, described as "recreational" divers. Group 2 used closed circuit (CC) gear, described as "rebreather" divers.

Group 2, having CC rebreather (CCR), planned to have a longer bottom time & to do a deco diving with spending 34 minutes of decompression.

One of the OC divers (Group 1) had trouble & found unconscious, floating on the surface. Dive instructor and / or his dive buddy pull him back to the boat. The boat captain called off the dive trip, alerted coast guard of the situation & tried to gather the rest of the divers that were still in underwater (Group 2) back to the boat.

Since Group 2 diving with CCR (no bubbles to follow), dive instructor was having problem finding them underwater. The captain scanned over the sea surface from the top deck for any SMB or other diver floating. While they were busy searching for Group 2, some of the passengers who kow how to do CPR volunteered to help to revive the victim while waiting for the coast guard to come.

If that scenario is true, other than the alleged claim that the captain himself / trained crew should have immediately done the CPR on the victim & having AED on board, what would be better actions to take if this happens again?

First of all, I agree with putting oxygen mask is of no use if the victim is unconscious & not breathing on his own. So, point 1 & 2 above are moot points.

#5: emergency recall of divers with 34 minutes deco isn't exactly rational either.

Back
Top Bottom