Diver Died In West Palm Beach, Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries. Not trying to set anyone straight. i'm just a dumb Fireman.

It does bring up a good point. if the pt. is in Asysole (flatline) or another non shockable rythm (PEA), it would explain why a shock was not delivered.

"The boat might have had oxygen on board, but I think more force is needed to deliver a rescue breath to a non-breathing victim than simply putting an oxygen mask on will accomplish"

Yes you are correct.
You also need a $14.00 AMBU bag/mask that the O2 line attaches to.
You squeeze if like a big blood pressure cuff bulb. Each squeeze fills the lungs with O2.
Sooo much better than the rescue breaths and easier than finding a volunteer to wrap their lips around a strangers...

- EDIT: I just saw that this post was old!

Yeah I just brought it back to life since I noticed the article in the local paper.

Wow i feel kinda bad for Narcosis now, We never got the full details on the accident but i know from friends experiences that Narcosis is a pretty good charter and i know from diving the same general area they are very considerate and look like they are running a prefessional opperation rather than some of the kinda shady ones i have seen. Hopefully this will all get sorted out propperly and if narcosis was irresponsible pay or if the kids are just trying to collect some cash they get nothing

I have only been on Narcosis once but Capt./Owner Van Blakeman has immpeciable maritime credentials and was extremely engaged in the recovery of divers on a particularly rough day shouting emphatic instructions to on-board crew on just how he wanted to effect collecting the divers from the then churning sea. I would dive with them/him anytime but I usually dive on a private boat.

Last edited:
I don;t see where the boat operator could have done any more than they did in this case. I went back and read the first few pages and news reports. If they were accurate the op did what they could to save her life. It sounds to me like if anyone is at fault it's the training she received OR DID NOT receive that caused this. But I bet the boat operator has a bigger insurance policy.

I don;t see where the boat operator could have done any more than they did in this case. I went back and read the first few pages and news reports. If they were accurate the op did what they could to save her life. It sounds to me like if anyone is at fault it's the training she received OR DID NOT receive that caused this. But I bet the boat operator has a bigger insurance policy.

I kinda agree with you but it may not even be her training's fault it could just be an underlaying health issue with a bad time for it to come up. nobody stated how she was deflating her BC since some people said she was when someone inflated it to keep her on surface. so if she was getting chest pains or anything and grabbed the power inflator to keep in hand and try pressing button if she started to deflate she may have just been pulling on it causing the shoulder dump to be triggered which would make it look like she was trying to deflate it or she may have thought she needed more air and pushed the deflate button or if it was back inflate and whoever inflated over inflated it she would be more unstable then with just a little air so she tried to let some out

I thought i read in the post they had the defib out on the boat, and by code i think all charters here have to have O2 on board. they even left people in the water and had other boats pick them up so they could get her back faster. i think that shows the charted did what was in their power to try saving her.

From what info we have it seems the charter acted properly, but her COD is still speculation. With the report she decended to about 10 ft she may have had a panic ascended and had a LOA which would show training issue, or if the BCD self inflated she didnt exhale and had a LOA which would revert to training issue and an issue with whoever owned the BC that was used from the malfunction which would usually have some indicator as soon as air was turned on, or it is a health issue that happened to happen on the dive.

It appears that a dive shop is a defendant in this suit, as well. I'm tempted to pick up a copy of the complaint to see what it actually says. Here's the clerk's docket http://courtcon.co.palm-beach.fl.us...id=502009CA037785XXXXMB&begin_date=&end_date==

Generally, these suits against the operators infuriate me. We all sign a waiver when we get on the boat. We all know there are risks inherent in this activity. Nevertheless, the operator still has to pay to defend this suit, and probably ends up paying a nuisance value settlement, just to make the litigation costs go away.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom