Diver deceased at Manatee Springs, 2/19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJah, tell them diving is a lot safer than motorcycles - some of us have survived those here...

I can only hope that if something happened to me while I was underwater (which I hope won't happen), that it would be used positively and analyzed like we do so much on here.
Be prepared to follow your training at all times, in all ways.

A lot of diving "accidents" are carelessness or ignorance.
You read about my incidents huh?

JahJahwarrior:
^My dad would sell me his 86 honda accord stickshift, but it doesn't have airbags. They want me to have a car with airbags. Even in my future, it'll behoove me to respect them as much as possible, if I expect to still have my stuff at home when I'm done with college (since I can't take everything to college:) ) :)
Get the Accord and a set of DSS wings you can use for diving doubles. Inflate the wings and bungie them to the steering wheel when driving to the dive site. When you get there remove them for diving. So simple, even a cave diver could do it.

james croft:
Get the Accord and a set of DSS wings you can use for diving doubles. Inflate the wings and bungie them to the steering wheel when driving to the dive site. When you get there remove them for diving. So simple, even a cave diver could do it.

^very very good idea, actually.

well... i hate to be a nag ... but...

won't the wing bunjeed to the steering wheel interfere with the deployment of the air bag in a real crash?

H2Andy:
well... i hate to be a nag ... but...

won't the wing bunjeed to the steering wheel interfere with the deployment of the air bag in a real crash?

You assume there is an airbag. In my dad's old honda, there isn't one. :) Infact, the seatbelts don't even ever stop letting out belt if you jerk hard on them, like new ones do. Still, I love his car.

hey, win-win

sccaleb:
As a Lt. told me a few years ago, "Caleb, if you feel yourself in panic, that means you are about to get killed... so calm yourself down and get through it... and remember, if you live, you always have time to s*** yourself later."

Caleb

In my very first class our instructor told us "as long as you have air, you have time. As long as you have time, you can figure a way out of your situation." He then told us about a time he had silted out a compartment in a wreck, and lost the line. He said he checked his air, turned off his light and just waited. Within a few minutes, he could see an area that was lighter than where he was and headed for it. It eventually led him out of the wreck.

The point is that panic can cause more deaths than a lot of other things.

Because of horrible accidents like this one, I think I'll just stay out of the overhead stuff. I am just not comfortable in anything overhead at all and I don't think I ever would be, EVER. Plus I have a wife and 3 kids and don't want to leave them earlier than necessary. I'll stick to the OW stuff.

Wow, that's really a shame what happened to the guy. Pretty tragic and I feel sorry for his buddies and his family.

I wonder what actually happened to him and if it had anything to do with the overhead environment, or if it would have happened in open water just as easily. If I remember right, the cavern zone doesn't go too far back under the ledge, and it's only about 60 feet. I would think you could swim out fairly easily if SHTF.

I do hope this doesn't affect OW diver access at Manatee Springs.

Back
Top Bottom