Diver deceased at Manatee Springs, 2/19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
Count your blessings. My folks bought me Lawn Darts. My mom would never wear a seatbelt, although I would wear one. Everytime she had to brake hard she would throw her right arm across the seat to keep me from hitting the dash. Totally unnecessary as I was belted in. The usual result was I got a busted lip from being smacked by her arm or she burned me with the cigarette she was holding. They even went as far as buying me a mask with the built in snorkels. That mask was a lot more dangerous than cave diving. Everyone needs a little danger in their life to add spice. Listen to your folks for now, but in a little while you will be able to do your own thing. The caves will always be there .

Um, maybe your parents were trying to tell you something. Did you ever notice that they left roller skates on the stairs or put the hair dryer next to the tub when you took a bath? :wink:

MichiganDiver:
Um, maybe your parents were trying to tell you something. Did you ever notice that they left roller skates on the stairs or put the hair dryer next to the tub when you took a bath? :wink:
:rofl3:
I'm going to have to quit reading Scubaboard.
Every time I do I get Cola coming out my nose,
and @#$& that hurts !

JahJahwarrior:
I didn't know I was joining the Navy!
Well of course you are! Night carrier ops; going nose-to-nose with the bad guys... that's real living! And your destiny, JahJahwarrior. It's the closest thing you can get to "Jedi Knight" in the real world. :)
Rick
(sorry for the hijack...)

I dont consider Manatee one of the safer caverns as it has very dark walls, and a syphon. It gets pretty silty down there due to the algea in the basin. This is probably what happened to this guy. Overhead diving is not dangerous in itself, but the problem is what do you when something goes wrong. With no access to the surface, panic turns deadly. This person most likely didnt plan gas out to leave some room for problems, it got dark, and they paniced.

jviehe:
I dont consider Manatee one of the safer caverns as it has very dark walls, and a syphon.

that's funny ... i also consider the syphon an element ... but to make the cavern safer

i figure than when people feel the tug of the syphon, they will get away from it rather than being drawn into the cavern as they would in a cavern without a syphon

since the cavern is so open and spread, and daylight is so clealry visible, i don't think of the dark coloring on the walls as a factor

(just to show a different reading; i can certainly see your point)

Rick Murchison:
Well of course you are! Night carrier ops; going nose-to-nose with the bad guys... that's real living! And your destiny, JahJahwarrior. It's the closest thing you can get to "Jedi Knight" in the real world. :)
Rick
(sorry for the hijack...)

I'd rather be face to face with the bad guys than face to face with either a shark or my SPG reading "0" when I'm lost in a cavern with daylight visible.

That said, I did my checkout dives at Manatee and if I ever get a cave cert I want desperately to go between Catfish and Manatee. Gosh do I ever want to go cave diving!!!!

JahJahwarrior:
That said, I did my checkout dives at Manatee and if I ever get a cave cert I want desperately to go between Catfish and Manatee. Gosh do I ever want to go cave diving!!!!

hey, man, get cave certified

we could do the Catfish traverse (to Manatee) once you are full cave

and tons of other diving before then

H2Andy:
hey, man, get cave certified

we could do the Catfish traverse (to Manatee) once you are full cave

and tons of other diving before then
Uh, did you read about his parental challenges...? :shakehead

DandyDon:
Uh, did you read about his parental challenges...? :shakehead

yes ... so?

he's about to turn 18 (and thus won't need parental signatures to sign up for classes)

I have a feeling that if he is going to college and living under thier roof, what they say goes until he moves out. He may turn 18 but if still in his parents house, I bet those rules will still apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom