Diver death in Japan 2 weeks ago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcs9250

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend was telling me about a female diver that died during a dive in water around Japan approximately two weeks ago. She was an Air Force officer on a recreational dive. Has there been any mention of this. I did a search and did not see anything.
I understand she suffered a brain anurism.
Thanks.

Captain dies after scuba diving near Kadena - Air Force News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Air Force Times

Captain dies after scuba diving near Kadena

Staff report
Posted : Thursday Oct 14, 2010 5:25:04 EDT

An Air Force captain died Saturday after scuba diving at a popular spot near Kadena Air Base, Japan.

Capt. Amy Brown went unconscious soon after surfacing at a Sunabe seawall dive spot, according to a base news release. Local authorities rushed her to a nearby naval hospital, but medical staff members couldn’t revive her.

Brown was a medical readiness flight commander assigned to the 18th Medical Support Squadron. The Air Force said her death is under investigation.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to Amy’s family,” said Brig. Gen. Ken Wilsbach, 18th Wing commander, in a news release. “We are saddened by the loss of a valued team member.”

According to Kadena, base personnel were involved in 34 water-related mishaps that ended in death or rescue from 2000 to 2009. That included 21 fatalities, mostly from scuba diving, snorkeling, cliff diving and wave watching.

Duplicate info

Man to think I almost dived out of that same spot this past September. I ended up snorkeling because the bc that I rented kept deflating..

I dove there in September with my wife. It's very nice but is certainly beginner skill level safe. I haven't found any follow up on the report either and would be interested in finding out the cause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom