Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes he knew the victim was missing but you don't contiune a dive!!!! You abort, abort what part of that don't you understand!!!!! You don't continue. What if it had been your wife or someone missing and they were on the surface and coudld have been saved and we continued for 10 more minutes and a 3 minute safety stop. That was 13 minutes of life saving time!!!! You don't continue, you stop. End of dive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was not going to comment on this thread anymore, however, you seem to be unhappy that the other members are not all taking up your cause.

With respect;

Earlier you indicated that the DM queried you about the whereabouts of the missing diver and that there appeared to be some confusion as to where he was or who his buddy was, did you stop your dive at this time or did you continue the dive as well?

I am not blaming you, but merely pointing out (as most others here are doing) that there appears to be many events and circumstances that are contributing factors in this death.

I have lost loves ones in recent years (Brother and Father) and I understand that you may be emotionally charged right now. There are some very experienced people on this board who have lost friends and family in diving incidents and may even have pulled them from the water. You should probably grant them a little respect and perhaps put things in perspective. Being as close as you were to the incident can cloud your judgement. Perhaps if you looked at it from their perspective you may also see it differently.

Lastly, this forum is traditionally focused on analysing incidents as a part of a learning process, very seldom will they get involved in a witch hunt and try and end up hanging a person that may or may not have been the cause of the incident.

Best Regards
Richard

Yesterday we decended pretty quickly to 300ft, my computer started showing deco obligation at 5 minutes and 200ft into the dive.
If you are asking if a person could do a direct ascent from 346ft without getting bent then probably no. I doubt this unfortunate diver was even consious at 346ft breathing air.

The forensic pathologist who is also a diver said it would take 4 tanks to have gotten him to the surface if it were even possible. And it wasn't.

I was not going to comment on this thread anymore, however, you seem to be unhappy that the other members are not all taking up your cause.

With respect;

Earlier you indicated that the DM queried you about the whereabouts of the missing diver and that there appeared to be some confusion as to where he was or who his buddy was, did you stop your dive at this time or did you continue the dive as well?

I am not blaming you, but merely pointing out (as most others here are doing) that there appears to be many events and circumstances that are contributing factors in this death.

I have lost loves ones in recent years (Brother and Father) and I understand that you may be emotionally charged right now. There are some very experienced people on this board who have lost friends and family in diving incidents and may even have pulled them from the water. You should probably grant them a little respect and perhaps put things in perspective. Being as close as you were to the incident can cloud your judgement. Perhaps if you looked at it from their perspective you may also see it differently.

Lastly, this forum is traditionally focused on analysing incidents as a part of a learning process, very seldom will they get involved in a witch hunt and try and end up hanging a person that may or may not have been the cause of the incident.

Best Regards
Richard

When I turned back to the DM after pointing to my buddy he was continuing the dive, so I assumed that someone else told him Brendan was safe because I figured the judgement of the DM to continue he must have know everything was OK. That is why I continued as well. I went on the judgement of the DM. Remember I was not in that group I was up 40ft and my responsibility was with Pam. His was with Brendan.

The forensic pathologist who is also a diver said it would take 4 tanks to have gotten him to the surface if it were even possible. And it wasn't.

Four tanks for one diver to make an ascent with deco stops from 346, correct?

Too many facts contradict eachother in this thread.

This seems to be a habit of people coming onto ScubaBoard to slam Divers Down. I have not read all 100+ posts but have seen enough to know that I question some of the facts that are being given. Not to say all are lying, but I just cannot put enough faith in some of them to actually pass judgement either way.

No matter what, there is always three version of THE TRUTH!!! Your version (in this case the OP), Their version (in this case Divers Down) and the truth which will likely contain a sprinkle from each of the others.

As with many incidents there is a number of factors, on both sides, making the chain of events which lead to this unfortunate fatality. Any one that had been done differently could have been the link to prevent this but it's all easy in hindsight.

As has been said many times before...we need to learn from it...

This seems to be a habit of people coming onto ScubaBoard to slam Divers Down. I have not read all 100+ posts but have seen enough to know that I question some of the facts that are being given. Not to say all are lying, but I just cannot put enough faith in some of them to actually pass judgement either way.

No matter what, there is always three version of THE TRUTH!!! Your version (in this case the OP), Their version (in this case Divers Down) and the truth which will likely contain a sprinkle from each of the others.

You know what ScubaSteve is people are coming on here and slamming DD. There might be a good reason! Think about it!!

You know what ScubaSteve is people are coming on here and slamming DD. There might be a good reason! Think about it!!

There may very well be but if none of them are able to put together what I appear to be a packet of facts then I will not put enough faith in their story to believe it and will therefore not pass judgement either way. Think about it. You are fighting with anybody who comes in here and does not bow to your "wisdom" immediately. Not the smartest move but hopefully you can ignore every member that questions you. Then you will enjoy it here.

I am ending this thread. There is way too much confusion and If I could talk to everyone I could clear everyones concerns up, however since I can't this could go on forever. If I have anymore updates as to the case I will post them. PADI is doing their own investigation as well and we will see what will happen. The DM is not diving at this moment he is on leave as you might say. That I know is a good thing until this is final. Again thank you for your comments most were very informative and helpful as for the rest. Well, I will just say they are here for everyone else to read.

peace and grace. Fosterboxermom

Fosterboxermom - I hope you find consolation & peace somewhere. It sounds to me like the DM/Op was an accident waiting to happen. Sorry you drew the short straw.

Your friend Brendan should not have taken the risk he did and paid the ultimate price.

I don't believe PADI OW really gives a new diver the tools to adequately assess risk. I think a good DM would know this and would either discourage or forbid a very newly qualified diver to go to 100ft.

Sad story and very avoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom