Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New divers tend to follow the instructions of the boat crew and the Divemaster. Heck, the title "Divemaster" sounds pretty authoritative doesn't it? And once a Dive Professional assumes that role of authority, he has, in my view, moral obligations. Why? Because less experienced (and perhaps poorly trained) new divers are looking to the Divemaster for guidance.

Very true, DiveMaster sounds very authorititive. Far more so than instructor.
so which agency wants to stand up and change it first? :)

of course less experienced divers will look to a Dive Master lets's hope that their instructor mentioned the role of a Dive Master in a course and outside of it for the differering agencies.

You should then, speak to Pam and read your previous posts, as you state very clearly that Brendon had two check out dives prior to the fatefull boat dive. what was the difference between you and him?

I guess I interpreted the "checkout dives" as being the completion of his OW certification by referral. If Brendan was from CO and newly certified, chances are these would have been his first dives in salt water. I could easily be wrong, though.

New divers tend to follow the instructions of the boat crew and the Divemaster. Heck, the title "Divemaster" sounds pretty authoritative doesn't it? And once a Dive Professional assumes that role of authority, he has, in my view, moral obligations. Why? Because less experienced (and perhaps poorly trained) new divers are looking to the Divemaster for guidance.

So you thought. Things have changed in the world of diving. They are merely "Dive Guides" now. And if you want them to be anything more you have to Pay them or Hire them. PADI pretty much hires DM to sell classes at resorts now not to keep you safe on a dive. And don't think that going to PADI.com and looking for a good dive shop is a good idea either because it isn't they are paid as well to advertise on their site. It's all about the money. So make sure you know that the next time you dive. I have learned that important lesson here. You are responsible for yourself and only yourself. No one will be there for you except your buddy. Know everything you need to before you get in the water, where the safety kit is and what is in it. Know how to use it. The boats call letters, how to call for help, the laws of the country that the dive boats should be operating under and never never dive in a group with a DM that you think is going to be there for you. Buddy up and have a plan.

Yes and Matthew didn't discourage it being the trained PADI Open Water Instructer that he is. Good for him. I know it wasn't in his job description.

There you have it.
It isn't part of his job
Or yours, particularly as you didn't know him or his fiance prior to the dive (your words not mine)

So where does that leave us.
Place the blame where you like then help this group make a difference.
Yes. I am very secure in saying I can and will make a difference.

I guess I interpreted the "checkout dives" as being the completion of his OW certification by referral. If Brendan was from CO and newly certified, chances are these would have been his first dives in salt water. I could easily be wrong, though.

I made a mistake when I said check out dives. They already had their c cards and I cleared that up in a post a long time ago. What I meant was they did two dives with DD the day before. Pam called them "check out dives" and that is where the confusion came in for me. She meant they did check out dives with that dive op. Or maybe refresher dives is what she could have meant since they were newly certified and yes their first ocean dives. The fatal dive was their 7th dive.

unfortunately you are.
He completed with the certifiying instructor and these two dives were check out dives to make sure he was ok to dive the dive planned.

So you thought. Things have changed in the world of diving. They are merely "Dive Guides" now. And if you want them to be anything more you have to Pay them or Hire them. PADI pretty much hires DM to sell classes at resorts now not to keep you safe on a dive. And don't think that going to PADI.com and looking for a good dive shop is a good idea either because it isn't they are paid as well to advertise on their site. It's all about the money. So make sure you know that the next time you dive. I have learned that important lesson here. You are responsible for yourself and only yourself. No one will be there for you except your buddy. Know everything you need to before you get in the water, where the safety kit is and what is in it. Know how to use it. The boats call letters, how to call for help, the laws of the country that the dive boats should be operating under and never never dive in a group with a DM that you think is going to be there for you. Buddy up and have a plan.

PADI do no such thing
They don't employ anyone outside of the offices and IE's
They are not Paid to advertise on their site
DiveMasters are not necessarily PADI there are many organisations with DiveMasters.

Don't for one minute believe tht because you say it, it makes it so.

There you have it.
It isn't part of his job
Or yours, particularly as you didn't know him or his fiance prior to the dive (your words not mine)

So where does that leave us.
Place the blame where you like then help this group make a difference.
Yes. I am very secure in saying I can and will make a difference.

How about these words: Pam's Words

Human caring & compassion dictates some sense of responsibility to our fellow human beings, whether it is in the job description or not. I find some of the comments reluctant to acknowledge that we are all responsible for ourselves & our safety but under circumstances such as diving--when diving with a professional tasked to keep you safe as well as guide you through 'cool stuff', it seems to me that basic human to human caring will be there as well. And when it is clear that someone hasn't the experience then extra care & concern is a human expectation, at least to me.

PADI do no such thing
They don't employ anyone outside of the offices and IE's
They are not Paid to advertise on their site
DiveMasters are not necessarily PADI there are many organisations with DiveMasters.

Don't for one minute believe tht because you say it, it makes it so.

Really.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom