Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent been able to read all the posts but 346 ft ?? 2.4 pO2. How did he get himself back to the surface.

Best you guys start a new thread with all the facts, too many post too read.

Best you guys start a new thread with all the facts, too many post too read.

Not a bad idea but the new thread would end up with the steady stream of bickering about this and that from the same people as are arguing here and the important information would still get lost.....call me a cynic :D.

Interesting that only now (I think) is it coming out that this very new diver had a camera with him. Another bad idea in my opinion and gives another possible explanation about how he got separated and so deep. Saw some cool fish or a turtle and chased it over the edge. Pure speculation of course, but it happens.

Someone on their 7th dive is WAY to green to be diving in 100' on a sloping bottom and taking pictures and ...

Not a bad idea but the new thread would end up with the steady stream of bickering about this and that from the same people as are arguing here and the important information would still get lost.....call me a cynic :D.

You're just a cynic Steve.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Temporarily locked pending mod review.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

thread re-opened.

I apologize, I read the first 20 some pages and didn't see this really covered, now it's out of control and didn't notice it discussed that thoroughly. But....:wink:

(1) There are self inflating BCDs that trigger at 346'????

(2) Empty tank of a presumably unconscious diver suddenly becomes bouyant enough to get this diver to the surface that quickly? And if that's the case, would his descent have slowed drastically to get to that point, that seems like it would have been a fairly slow transition of events.

In order to continue to 346' wouldn't one of 2 things had to happen?

(1) He makes it there consciously, inflates and rockets to surface. If so, why would he make it that far, have enough presence of mind to inflate, but not enough to return much sooner?

(2) Looses consciousness prior to 346', presumably much earlier, continues to drop, somehow becomes bouyant and back to the surface in 22 minutes?

I know I probably don't sound too bright but, same thing. You get too deep, dementa of some sort sets in, and you suddenly get clarity and hit the eject button?

There's gotta be more to this. I mean really 346' is unfathomable to me, especially for someone that's new, not efficient, and descends fast enough to to make it down that far and make it back up in 22 minutes one way or another all the while being disoriented and/or unconscious.

As for the empty tank, wouldn't he also have an empty BCD and lungs by that point? Don't divers that drowned typically sink or stay at the same depth?

I'm not trying to be negative, just trying to fill in the blanks and since I'm obviously not that well versed, I gotta ask:depressed:

Many years ago, when I was still young and foolish as opposed to now older and foolish, a group I was with did a planned deep dive in Cozumel. We wanted to hit 200'. Everyone carried secondary air supplies, and we staged safety divers with extra air. Yes, this dive was being done on air.

As we approached the 200' mark I signalled a stop and time to ascend. One of our group kept going. I signalled him to stop, but he just waved me off. We ascended back up the wall, and started our planned stops.

The diver that kept going finally caught up with us when we were drifting along at 30'. I signalled him over and looked at his computer. 310'!

Back on the boat I took him aside to have a word. I first told him he was done diving for the day. I then asked him what he was thinking. He said when would he ever have the chance to do it again. He then told me that he blacked out at 250', and came back to at about 300'. It took him another 10' to stop his descent. I asked him what would have heppened if he had blacked out again. He said "I swam up holding my inflator. I figured if I felt myself going I would just hit it and hope for the best."

I'm not saying this is what happened to the diver that died, but it is one possibility.

What kind of safetry stop did this guy do -how long, how many? How long did this dive take, bounce at 310 and surface?:confused:

Many years ago, when I was still young and foolish as opposed to now older and foolish, a group I was with did a planned deep dive in Cozumel. We wanted to hit 200'. Everyone carried secondary air supplies, and we staged safety divers with extra air. Yes, this dive was being done on air.

As we approached the 200' mark I signalled a stop and time to ascend. One of our group kept going. I signalled him to stop, but he just waved me off. We ascended back up the wall, and started our planned stops.

The diver that kept going finally caught up with us when we were drifting along at 30'. I signalled him over and looked at his computer. 310'!

Back on the boat I took him aside to have a word. I first told him he was done diving for the day. I then asked him what he was thinking. He said when would he ever have the chance to do it again. He then told me that he blacked out at 250', and came back to at about 300'. It took him another 10' to stop his descent. I asked him what would have heppened if he had blacked out again. He said "I swam up holding my inflator. I figured if I felt myself going I would just hit it and hope for the best."

I'm not saying this is what happened to the diver that died, but it is one possibility.

I have learned, and Op confirms, Brendan, deceased diver, was found with his weights still attached -16 lbs. None of this is making any sense to me? How could he have hit 346 ft and then back to surface so quickly, and be dead on surface? What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom