Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And Jay, I don't know what you have against EC, but it seems to me that you are coming awfully close to slandering him. I think it is established that this was not a paying charter, and that it was simply three friends going diving together. As for EC closing down for the year, while that might be the "sensitive" thing to do, I don't think you can reasonably expect him to do so. By your standard, every charter operation in the country would likely have to close down at one time or another. In any case, I fail to see the point in him doing so.

As I clarified in my other post, this is a different situation then a boat captain having a death on his boat..He was the buddy on the dive. I dont expect him to close down..But, if my friend died in front of me, I 'm not too sure I would be into diving again soon, or having much to do with diving anytime soon after that..But like I said, thats me..
Also, I believe the definition of slander is loosely defined as, words spoken FALSELY to tarnish the reputation of another. Nothing I have said has been false.

But, if my friend died in front of me, I 'm not too sure I would be into diving again soon, or having much to do with diving anytime soon after that..But like I said, thats me..

Well I can't disagree with you there. As I said, taking a break might well be the "sensitive" thing to do...

I don't know enough of the details to comment on you comments about EC, so I will leave it at that.

People deal with grief differently. You are not him. Get over it Jay.

adiverswife.....

You have told us a lot about what isnt true without providing what is true and how you know it is true. You say he was a tech diver. Ok, which agency did he get his cert from? You say he was very experienced and prepared. Ok, how many dives had he been on?

I am NOT trying to be offensive or abrasive in any way. But, it simply isnt good enough (in my opinion) to try to shout down everyone without providing some kind of evidence that you have some idea of what you are talking about.

I for one am a pretty inexperienced diver. As such, the speculation of how this MIGHT have happened provided me a LOT of information regarding scenarios that can be a problem and how they can come about. This in turn makes me very aware of situations I need to question, or stay away from, and training I might want to consider getting. In that way the speculation can be very valuable in terms of preventing future accidents even if it is not what actually happened in this case.

Please accept my post in the spirit in which it was made and if you do in fact have information perhaps you could provide it to us.

If my post offends you in any way I apologize in advance.

Around these parts there are a number of "tech" certifying agencies, although personally I tend to think the two most prevalent are TDI and GUE. I do acknowledge that there are others, however, in my experience (other than CCR training and cave training) these two seem to be the most prevalent.

TDI actually allows you to check to see if someone has taken a particular course. The basic starting point in TDI tech training is Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures.

If you go to the link:

International Training :: Diver Services :: Confirm Certification

You can confirm whether anyone has taken a particular course by entering the name and selecting the course. If you enter my name "Warren Lo" and select Decompression Procedures, you can verify that I took the course and achieved the certification.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I do understand that this site is to educate divers if something happens, what I do not understand is those that have tried to be-little his credentials. He was a great person and yes very dear to me so reading some quotes that he was not qualified or ready to be there or even one that he bought a course should not be part of the post. answers is what is wanted lies should be removed. those who knew him and dived with him were friends they do not take courses lightly and quotes like that are sad when posted if they want to post to help that that is what they should do.

I truly doubt that anyone is trying to belittle his credentials. I've been around the dive community long enough to know that there is predominately a genuine interest in promoting diving safety, and a big part of it is accident analysis. Every accident, fatality or not, affects the diving community as a whole and it is only natural (and human nature) to be curious about what happened and to understand the causes so that we might learn and possibly prevent future incidences.

The cause of death, as I understood, officially was drowning, but that says nothing about the cause of the accident. If learning from the incident even helps to save one person from doing the same thing, then the diver's death would not have been in vain.

I personally feel for the family. I attended the memorial and made a donation, along with hundreds of other people in the dive community - some of which are the same people asking these questions. And understandably, it is difficult at times not to perceive these questions harshly as an attack on someone, but in the final analysis, sometimes these questions need to be asked.

As for it being seemingly belittling his credentials, the problem is that no-one has actually stated or confirmed what they are. That would certainly clear the air up surrounding this issue.

Excerpting from both posts..
As for it being seemingly belittling his credentials, the problem is that no-one has actually stated or confirmed what they are. That would certainly clear the air up surrounding this issue.
I do know what I am talking about here with regards to training, with regards to the site, and what the certification level was...which was an Advanced Open Water diver, not a technical diver.

Adiverswife, I am sorry for your loss, but I do have to comment on your blasts here. Not to upset you....but......I do know what I am talking about here with regards to training, with regards to the site, and what the certification level was...which was an Advanced Open Water diver, not a technical diver. You cannot comment on a level of diving when you yourself are not certified. I knew your husband, I know the operator, and I know the site. Not making anything up, and I have stayed away from speculating with regards to gear, or anything else out of the ordinary. Those facts are not in yet.

Lake levels haven't dropped 20 ft to make this a recreational dive site.

An interesting tidbit that I think some may have overlooked is that (at least with PADI, I cannot be sure of any of the other recreational agencies since I was trained as a PADI instructor) a planned dive to 130 ft (or anything deeper than 100 ft) as part of a series of repetitive dives goes against PADI recommendations. It's clearly outlined on the back of the PADI RDP. If it was the only dive for the day, I don't think PADI says there's anything wrong with that, other than to avoid going to the limit of the planner.

Excerpting from both posts..

OK but nobody has said officially what they are because the AOW was "disputed" by the adviserswife (sp?). So, if AOW was his cert level, then Tech Diver he was not. If he held some Tech certification levels, then one could somewhat accurately call him a Tech Diver.

OK but nobody has said officially what they are because the AOW was "disputed" by the adviserswife (sp?). So, if AOW was his cert level, then Tech Diver he was not. If he held some Tech certification levels, then one could somewhat accurately call him a Tech Diver.

Yes, that was my point exactly.

You seem to have an agenda which might be clear to others but I'll have to reread the thread to see if it is still clear with all the deletions.

I agree Jay Roy seems to have an agenda, but I also get the strong feeling it's justified, as in something has been going on for a while and it finally caught up with the parties involved. I know there's an ongoing investigation, Jay Roy, so am I warm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom