Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then why are they saying this was not a paid charter, when I have the Aquaholic email from the day before listing Wed as a day of paid charters? Also, most reports say the diver was found on the bottom with no mask and no vitals. OUC report says he has problems on the ascent?

Knowing the people involved..I`m pretty sure this is all the info we`re going to get.
:shakehead: That would suck. Hope not the case.
I think it is high time that this speculation about what happened stop. Only 3 people know what happen exactly and one of them are dead. Please send your respects to the family and for the love of god come up with better ways to reduce the risks of this happening again ie training and the balls to say no to someone IF they arent ready for the dive.
Yeah, ok....
respects to the family go on our Passings forum. If there is not a thread yet on this loss, you can start one.

come up with better ways to reduce the risks of this happening again is what this forum is all about - with facts if we can get them, what-ifs if that's all we can work with.​
I have spoken to several people close to the three involved in this terrible accident. I can tell you that although there is certainly a bit of confusion surrounding the exact circumstances, there is no covering of asses involved so far as I can see. There are MANY people in the close knit community around these three divers that are trying to sort out the whole event. Analysis of the dive are ongoing, and are quite open. I did not meet any secrecy, simply the desire that the details be clear and correct before publicly discussed. The media made such a mess in the beginning that the family asked for privacy and accuracy. They truly just wish to deal with their grief at this moment.

Be patient. The truth is working its way out of this mess.
Ok, cool - hope to see it. Thanks

I think it is high time that this speculation about what happened stop. Only 3 people know what happen exactly and one of them are dead. Please send your respects to the family and for the love of god come up with better ways to reduce the risks of this happening again ie training and the balls to say no to someone IF they arent ready for the dive.

Hi Swampdonkey--

Respects and condolences for the family are very important. We do this over on the "Passings" forum. If someone hasn't already started a condolences thread, would you like to?

Hello everyone,

I am the OUC (Ontario Underwater Council) regional representative for Ontario South which is where this tragic accident occurred...

Brooke, is that you? I have to say that the OUC accident/incident reports have been getting less and less detailed over the years, with even basic information being glossed over. There must be much more information that could be published at this time than what is in the incident report. There are many contradictions that have been raised and are gaining momentum, rather than being snuffed out with correct, corroborated information. This decision to withhold information appears to be worsening the situation. I hope that you will discuss our concerns as a group with Scott and Raymund as well...

When diving those depths and temps, are there required cold water regs that are part of everyone's gear? If someone showed up on the boat in a reg that absolutely couldn't handle those temps, would they be pulled aside and told they're not going to dive? I don't dive that cold so I don't know about cold water regs.

Thanks for all the info about cold water regs and deep diving. The dive that we're discussing sounded like a tech dive, so I wondered if boat procedures were different than for rec diving.

I have spoken to several people close to the three involved in this terrible accident. I can tell you that although there is certainly a bit of confusion surrounding the exact circumstances, there is no covering of asses involved so far as I can see. There are MANY people in the close knit community around these three divers that are trying to sort out the whole event. Analysis of the dive are ongoing, and are quite open. I did not meet any secrecy, simply the desire that the details be clear and correct before publicly discussed. The media made such a mess in the beginning that the family asked for privacy and accuracy. They truly just wish to deal with their grief at this moment.

Be patient. The truth is working its way out of this mess.

I guess in the spirit of not keeping anything secret, we can expect to see some of the factual findings of the investigation, such as the dive profiles recorded on either of the two divers' computers/bottom timers? That information is really just factual information that would go a long way to illustrate what actually transpired - there would be no reason hold that sort of information back.

Nope, take a look at the current OUC report..Its pretty much a waste of bandwidth...Also, how can we ensure this never happens again? I am pretty confident that the true story will NEVER come out..Ever heard the saying, C Y A
Cover your ass...

I guess time will tell if Jay is right on this or not.

I guess in the spirit of not keeping anything secret, we can expect to see some of the factual findings of the investigation, such as the dive profiles recorded on either of the two divers' computers/bottom timers? That information is really just factual information that would go a long way to illustrate what actually transpired - there would be no reason hold that sort of information back.

I am with you on that one. I do hope as well that this information is correctly passed on to the rest of us.

The Diver was at 130 feet on the sunken crane called, " The Birmingham" it was a dive operation by Eric Cooper, of Aquaholics. They were using full scuba equipment.
I know this becaus I was on the scene and witnessed the diver get brought to shore with full equipment and i heard the radio call announcing their position.

What equip was he wearing? can u provide more detail? twins, single, wings, pony, stage ?

What equip was he wearing? can u provide more detail? twins, single, wings, pony, stage ?

The details of this are all pretty vague. I know "of" all three involved and believe that they are capable divers. One of them runs a small charter business from his RIB, but it seems that this was just a dive with friends...

There is an ongoing investigation, but so far, very little detail has been forthcoming. Today was the first public mention of the victims name that I have seen, as it had been withheld at the request of his family.

Back
Top Bottom