Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said Bleeb. Your post is one of the best I've ever read in it's ability to say what all of us here reading this thread wish to have said.

Not ALL of us, only SOME of us.

Personally, I also find the rampant speculation of "what happened" way off topic.

Analysis is based on facts, not rumor and gossip.

Much of the discussion is so far-fectched and off-topic that it simply serves as a type of gossip at the expense of the victim and their family.

The advice to family members who respectfully ask people to stop the unfounded rampant speculation to "don't read this thread" is not something I agree with.

So, please don't say "ALL" agree with bleeb. I respectfully don't agree. I think people should slow down on the speculation based on rumor and gossio and wait for credible facts to be published.

I understand what you are saying and not too woried about what is said without fact. Also like you said, the coroner said cause of death was drowning, but we all know it doesn't just happen like that, something else went wrong but we may never know. I am a diver as well that's why this is important to me. I would like to find out what went wrong not just for family, but for everyone so the same thing does not happen to someone else, like i said before I will post info as I get it to hopefully stop the same mishap from happening. Again thank you all for the support and your input is appreciated.

I understand what you are saying and not too woried about what is said without fact. Also like you said, the coroner said cause of death was drowning, but we all know it doesn't just happen like that, something else went wrong but we may never know. I am a diver as well that's why this is important to me. I would like to find out what went wrong not just for family, but for everyone so the same thing does not happen to someone else, like i said before I will post info as I get it to hopefully stop the same mishap from happening. Again thank you all for the support and your input is appreciated.
Please accept that our aim here is only for risk & accident analysis, not diver analysis of the diver as a person even tho it might seem that way in some threads. We seldom get facts really, instead working on what-ifs and how to survive them. Your assistance is greatly appreciated in this sad time for your family.

The Diver was at 130 feet on the sunken crane called, " The Birmingham" it was a dive operation by Eric Cooper, of Aquaholics. They were using full scuba equipment.
I know this becaus I was on the scene and witnessed the diver get brought to shore with full equipment and i heard the radio call announcing their position.

Funny that you should say that now...you told the news reporters on CP24 that day that they were most likely on the Jesse Anne (60 ft deep tug)...and went as far as to even give video footage to them to put on their news plug.....

The crane is actually 145 ft to the mud, and is laying on its side.

I feel for the family and friends of the victim and those that were there at the time. The news did a good job at bungling this up, and unfortunately it has lead to a lot of speculation. Until we know what really happened...lets all try to not read too much into the news that is broadcast. Most of it comes from a tip line and everyone plays the expert. Those that have dove this site (I have) know what the conditions can be like there. The only ones that know are the ones that were there, and no doubt they are still in shock and trying to cope.

Not ALL of us, only SOME of us.

Personally, I also find the rampant speculation of "what happened" way off topic.

Analysis is based on facts, not rumor and gossip.

Much of the discussion is so far-fectched and off-topic that it simply serves as a type of gossip at the expense of the victim and their family.

The advice to family members who respectfully ask people to stop the unfounded rampant speculation to "don't read this thread" is not something I agree with.

So, please don't say "ALL" agree with bleeb. I respectfully don't agree. I think people should slow down on the speculation based on rumor and gossio and wait for credible facts to be published.

Okay I won't say all but I won't say some either. Analysis isn't emotional. It's fact driven but in this thread it is helpful to learn of the "what Ifs". If you have read this thread you know I haven't speculated once. But I can't blame anyone who has. Brainstorming brings it all up.

Also the coroner comes up with cause of death. If he found drowning as the cause.. then the victim suffered a drowning incident. The factors may include that the victim entered water. Cause remains. Am I incorrect?

That's true. Unless there is an inquest or extra information released, the "cause of death" is almost invariably drowning, which does not shed light on the "cause of the accident". So for our intents and purposes, the results of an autopsy are much less relevant than the results of an analysis of the equipment and gases and eyewitness reports of people who were involved or witnessed the accident.

OUC has released their first report on this accident. Nothing in there that doesn't raise more questions as far as I'm concerned..
http://www.underwatercouncil.com/dow..._in_20 10.pdf

Also, the report lists this dive as the first dive of the day, and not the second as previously stated by the victim's cousin.
I have the impression that something is being kept secret about this...Doing a no deco dive on the crane makes no sense at all..Its closer to 150 feet in depth...The bottom time would not even be worth gearing up for..

Last edited:
That's true. Unless there is an inquest or extra information released, the "cause of death" is almost invariably drowning, which does not shed light on the "cause of the accident". So for our intents and purposes, the results of an autopsy are much less relevant than the results of an analysis of the equipment and gases and eyewitness reports of people who were involved or witnessed the accident.

it should rule out health related (heart attack, stroke, barotrauma from overexpansion etc).
this would be autopsy related information. Drowning secondary to inhalation of fluid.

There would be less speculation if those involved would expose some of the questions that have been brought up such as level of certification, number of dives, equipment choices etc.
this would all be good information. I think someone else mentioned the secretive nature of the event.

interesting though but unsatisfying due to lack of information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom